Local Trip Sunday 21st October

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Local Trip Sunday 21st October

Post by andy g »

Folks
I am planning a club recreational trip on Sun 21st October.
We have 3 options:
1 A Medway estuary trip from Queenborough to the WWI U Boat wreck , this is a tidal paddle and not suitable for total beginners , 1 star plus some other experience would be a minimum. It is also not suitable for playboats, river runners would be the minimum length required, sea kayaks would be excellent, open boats in tandem welcome.

2 A River Medway trip from Tonbridge down to Yalding, running all the canoe chutes. This trip is suitable for all 1 Star holders but is quite long so some stamina is required. many of you have paddled from Sluice Gate to Yalding, this trip starts further upstream and takes in another 4 canoe chutes (which are all less steep than the Sluice Gate one), it is very rural , quite pretty with the autumnal colours, and makes a long day out.

3 A lower River Medway trip , either from Teston to Allington, or Yalding to Allington, depending upon the strength of the group. This paddle is suitable for all paddlers but again it is quite long. You paddle almost through the middle of Maidstone so it gives a different perspective to the town.

Would people like to let me know which they would prefer and Tim harlow and I will organise it.

Regards

Andy

andy g
Expert

Re: Local Trip Sunday 21st October

Post by andy g »

OK Guys
Let me narrow the choice down a bit by opting for the Teston to Allington for this Sunday. We will assemble at the Boat House at 10.00 am to collect boats and kit. Make our way down to the river at Teston.
We will then run shuttles down to Allington (the last lock on the Medway before it becomes tidal) return and paddle the river. There are no chutes on this route so it is suitable for ALL paddlers.
The scenery is a mixture of rural Kent countryside from Teston , through East Farliegh , until we hit the outskirts of Maidstone. It is then an urban landscape, passing the Medway council offices at Gun Wharf, until the northern outskirts of the town are reached.
Although within audible range of the M20, Allington is a peaceful location with a pub/Beefeater type inn on the other bank.
We will return to Danson to run back the boats and kit after we finish.

Andy

For those wishing to do Paul's Thames trip in November this would be good preparation for your paddling abilities and skills.

I will post dates for the other 2 trips later after checking with other river leaders to minimise date clashes

bianchisi
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by bianchisi »

Andy, I will see if my 2 boys are interested, Sunday is usually harder for me as i only have them on Saturday. But will ask.

Cheers Simon
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Can me in wherever we go!
Anyone else?

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Guys
As we have only 4 takers for this trip , all of whom are experienced paddlers , we are going to change the venue and paddle in the Medway Estuary from Queenborough to the abandoned WWI U Boat, and return (Option 1 above)
Anyone wishing to join us please let me know urgently.
We are aiming to be on the water at Queenborough by 10.30 so it will be an early start, so will help to get your kit sorted on Saturday.
Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Well some trips don't go quite to plan.

A combination of a strong NE wind, some capricious water, and a strong tide, gave us some very tricky conditions on the Medway estuary.

As a result we decided to explore the islands near to Queenborough and leave the WWI submarine for another day.

Thanks to Tim, Kathrine, Roman, and Yolanta who all needed to dig deep to keep their boats moving into the headwind and tide.

Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

This turned out to be quite a challenge with both wind and tide being stronger than planned.
However we did find a nice place away from the dancing to have Sunday lunch...

and enjoy the view.....

Even found time to admire the mud of Deadman's Island..

I think the reason why the trawler-men in the pub rolled their eyes when we said we were trying to get to Bee Ness in a NE wind is that the estuary runs from SW to NE so with a NE wind the estuary becomes a wind tunnel with no shelter.
Which we can confirm!