Medway Trip: Sunday June 3rd

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Medway Trip: Sunday June 3rd

Post by andy g »

I will be organising a trip down the River Medway , either from Tonbridge to Sluice Weir , or Hartlake to Yalding in order to complete a 2 Star assessment for 2 paddlers.
I will be happy to assess others (up to 2 Star) if they so wish.

This trip will be suitable for paddlers of all standards. It will involve shooting some canoe chutes, which can be easily portaged if you don't fancy them.

Please post here if you are interested, or see me at the pool on a Wednesday.

Regards
Andy

OSB
Expert
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Medway Trip: Sunday June 3rd

Post by OSB »

Hi Andy,

I'm happy to come along - I could do with logging the hours anyway.

Sam

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Is it the date that is wrong , or have we done the Medway to death?
With only 2 of us shuttles are going to be be difficult!

Is there nobody else up for this?

Andy

(0) 7703 823619

Jane
Expert

Post by Jane »

Hi Andy
Sorry would like to come but the date does not work for me.
If you arrange another trip I would be interested.
Thanks
Jane

flossey

Post by flossey »

Andy, would like to come but not sure what is needed for the assessment or whether I have the needed resources and equipment to get to the medway. Also becoming increasingly demoralised with the club so probably not good attitude at moment. What does the two star entail? I ve been at club almost two years but never been on a course or had a lesson except from Tim, Timmy or June. Not sure if I can get a boat anywhere but on the lake - hence my non participation! Driving on motorways coming along but still have issues with roofrack. Can you ring me and maybe we could discuss it. Thanks Jane 07986909669

OSB
Expert

Post by OSB »

Hi Jane,

I don't have a copy of the 1* and 2* requirements in front of me, but I believe that they are as follows:

1*
- forward paddling (control tested through a gap, usually between two boats)
- backward paddling (control tested through a gap, usually between two boats)
- controlled stop
- control (sweep) strokes
- low brace
- draw stroke

2*
- eskimo rescue (as both rescuer and rescuee)
- high brace
- sculling draw stroke
- stern rudder (maybe 1*)

Andy will obviously be able to correct the inevitable errors in the above!

If you're interested in joining, I can run through a few of the above at the lake on Saturday. Alternatively, I'm usually at the pool on a Wednesday evening, although I can't make tonight.

Assuming that you're a club member, you'll be able to borrow club equipment. You will need:

- boat
- BA
- spraydeck
- helmet (if you'll be using the canoe chutes)
- paddle

You can book the above on the website under equipment booking. I'm sure that we'll be able to get you and your gear to the water and back again.

Sam

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Obviously I can't work thanks to the bridges and embankments being closed, I am hoping to come but can't commit till Saturday.
The weather forecast is rain all day....ie bring a BBQ!

Tim Collier

Post by Tim Collier »

Hi Andy,

Would have like to have done this trip as I need the 2* assessment, but unfortunately due to work commitments I cannot make it,

Next time though,

Regards

Tim

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Jane/Flossie,
You don't need to worry about the assessment. This will be a river trip first and an assessment second. By looking at those going through assessment you should be able to tell what additional skills you need to learn/practice before you also could do an assessment.

As Sam has said, we can easily get your kit and boat etc transported to the river from the boathouse, but it does rather depend on being able to communicate with you , and this website is the easiest way of doing this for me. One post here reaches almost everyone interested, if I have to ring people everything takes a lot longer for me. However I will try to reach you by phone and perhaps set up a text message group for the future.

Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Folks
This trip is definitely on. Get your gear sorted at the boathouse on Saturday and we will work out how to get it to the river. Let me know if you cannot make it and need to pick up tomorrow , as we will need to get keys to the boathouse organised.
Unless we have a lot of cars it looks like we will get on at Yalding and paddle up to Sluice Gate weir and back, perhaps playing in the weir pool at the end if there are any releases.

I can carry 4 boats comfortably , 5 at a pinch. I have 2 or 2 free slots at present.

Andy