River Trip March 18th Provisional

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Re: River Trip March 18th Provisional

Post by andy g »

Although the level is currently low , rain is forecast for Saturday , I think this river comes up quite quickly , so I am hoping that we will have some flow and reasonable water.
It will be new to all of us (I think) so something of an unknown quantity and therefore more challenging.
I will be using this to assess one candidate for 1 Star as her river trip, does anyone else want an assessment on the day?
Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

The weather forecast for Guildford tomorrow is rain between 9am and midday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2647793
Therefore I shall bring my sunglasses and sun cream.....

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Well , the forecast rain arrived a little late and not quite enough of it. As a result our first run down the Mole was rather a scrape in places .
However we did see the potential in this river for a higher water run. There were high water marks everywhere, and a considerable number of trees in the water, especially before bridges, so a high water run would be quite exciting. Timing would be critical , it would have to be a rainy Saturday , and then an early morning swift run down on a Sunday.

Thanks to Sam Dalton and Tony for help on river leading, Tony for transport ,Tim for photos, and Yolanta, Kathleen, Mark, for their company during during the run.

A good day out.

Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
thanks for organising this, a lot of unrecognised work goes into planning a trip and I wish members would post on our website if they are interested because by Saturday morning we still were not sure who was going to join us.
That said and despite low water levels,it was another great day.
To view picture,right click on view image.

Also special thanks are due to Tony, not only for the transport, but who then left his keys in the car park and paddled the Mole twice...

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Nice pictures Tim, which kind of sum up the trip.
After a little research I think the rodent we saw at the start of the trip near the Stepping Stones was an American Mink, I think I erroneously identified it as a stoat at the time. Strange that it was inhabiting the stretch of the river where we saw most humans, as they generally prefer more secluded habitats. I have never seen one previously.
Andy

OSB
Expert
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by OSB »

You say American Mink, all I saw was game pie and a lovely pair of gloves for a lady.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Also I found the sight of Tony's Ex's watching us paddle by rather embarrassing...
Could someone have a word with Tony?

OSB
Expert
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by OSB »

Yup, one word: baa.

Tidy.