Upper Dart 3rd Feb - 5th Feb 2012

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Paul French
Expert

Re: Upper Dart 3rd Feb - 5th Feb 2012

Post by Paul French »

Dear All
I think we need to start confirming plans for this trip. I think the travelling arrangements are pretty well sorted
Car 1 - Jim's - Meet at Jim's 08.00
Jim Ade Me

Car 2
Liz Andy Tim

Not sure where you'll meet or whose car or what time but no doubt I can leave that to you.

Friday - pm
Meet at Newbridge at 13.00
Paddle to Holne Bridge we can walk back if necessary.
Friday night self catering - I think Andy has volunteer'd - I have a large bag of pasta. Andy/I will bring snacks etc.

Mark and Robbie join late pm.

Saturday
Breakfast in Pub
Suited and booted ready to go 09.30
Anticipate being at Dartmeet no later than 10.00 shuttle etc by 10.30

Saturday night -
Meal in pub regale with improbably stories of survival/derring do etc.
Wet baby's head.

Sunday
Breakfast in Pub
Suited and booted ready to go everything packed 09.30
At get on by 10.00 shuttles complete 10.30
Joined by Giles.

Plan may need some modification dependent on water levels. Low water is the biggest problem - high water give other options - East // West Dart or other depending on circumstances.

Bed linen and towels provides - I would bring sleeping bags and some form of pillow

Yours

Paul

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

If you all decide that one day on the Upper is enough gnarliness for you and opt for a quick blast down something easier on the Sunday could someone please let me know on the Saturday evening?
The idea of driving all that way for a one-dayer on the loop would be my idea of hell :-)
Giles

Jane
Expert

Post by Jane »

hi giles
i am sure you wont need to twist too many arms to get some company on the upper ;)
( water levels permitting )
Brian

Jane
Expert

Post by Jane »

Hi all
i will not be coming down this weekend.
beware They may have removed them by now but a few hundred yards after "surprise surprise" where the river splits with the large island in the middle (normally run river left ) there were a couple of trees which made this route un-passable and had to be portaged.
give me a call if you are not sure where i mean ,this would be very very dangerous if you do not notice them in time to get out.
I hope you get some rain in the next few days
have fun and take care
Brian

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Well that was a truly great trip.
Everything went well , thanks to Ada for all the driving, Paul for the organisation. Jim, Tim , and Mark for company.
After a Friday afternoon Loop warm up , we tackled the Upper Dart on Saturday with the level about 6 to 8 inches below the slab. It was an erie experience as we were the only boaters on the river , it snowed most of the way down , and after Surprise Surprise the mist descended giving the whole river a rather spooky feel. It was a great run with only one swim, a few rolls, and a great time was had by all.
Overnight Saturday the rains came down quite heavily and the river was well over the slab in the morning, but with increasing snow problems likely on the way home we opted for a quick Loop run and an early start back.
Phil and Brian did run the Upper on Sunday and had an equally good time by all accounts.
Andy :D

Jane
Expert

Post by Jane »

hi all
thanks for letting us tag along even if we did not get to paddle together.

brian