Medway Trip : Sunday Nov 20th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Medway Trip : Sunday Nov 20th

Post by andy g »

Folks
I am planning a Medway Trip for Sunday November 20th.

This trip is open to all members who have done one previous river trip and wish to try a longer paddle.

The proposal is to start at Tonbridge and run down to Yalding. This is a longer paddle of 4 hours, but there are 4 enjoyable canoe chutes that we can play on.

It will entail an early start from Tonbridge so it will be necessary to get kit and boats organised on the Saturday and drive directly to the get on in Tonbridge town centre(Lower Castle car park off The Slade) on Sunday morning. A quick change and run the shuttles so we are on the water by 11.00 latest.

Please book equipment out via the Equipment Section on this website.

As the weather is likely to be colder by late November, please ensure that you have enough warm clothing, including gloves and a hat. A flask of warm drink is also a good idea, together with some instant energy food.

Please post here if you wish to come, or contact me if you have any queries.

Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Medway Trip : Sunday Nov 20th

Post by Tharlow »

Count me IN!

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Unfortunately Andy is away till midweek in Midwest USA where it is -10C and rivers and lakes are frozen!
If you requite any more information about this trip please contact me.
Last edited by Tharlow on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

So far we have.
Andy and myself.
John G and Morgan.
Tony H with Helen, Kathleen and Mark
Tim Y in an open.
Any more care to join us?

On the day I shall be flaunting my new £24.99 waterproof trousers from T K Maxx.
So fellow paddlers will be in for a real treat!

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Hi Folks
Back in circulation now and looking forward to the trip on Sunday.
The weather forecast seems OK , but be prepared , this is a long paddle, and I do advise warm clothing, including a warm hat (as well as your helmet)
Depending upon the progress down the river we may be able to practice some moving water skills at some of the chutes.

For those who are investigative or just curious there is a good link to this river on the EA website http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/st ... 689603.pdf
The website suggests that we will not be able to paddle the Tonbridge canoe pass due to low water flows , but things can change in a few days with rain forecast Friday and Saturday.

You can also apply to the EA for a waterproof copy of the complete R Medway map. I will bring along my copy.

Please ensure that you have booked out the equipment you need with Ada via this website "Equipment" section. Please ensure that you collect everything on Saturday as we need to be at Tonbridge car park by 10.00 in order to ensure that we finish in daylight.

Lorraine will be joining us , she is paddling the small Burn (booked by Tim) so the party will 10 strong.

Andy

The

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

I'm taking a group of scouts from Yalding up to Sluice and back on the same day so I'm sure our paths will cross at some point.
Be good to see you guys out there.
Giles

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Randy Fandango wrote:I'm taking a group of scouts from Yalding up to Sluice and back on the same day so I'm sure our paths will cross at some point.
Be good to see you guys out there.
Giles
Barry and Malcolm's Scouts are doing Hartlake to Yalding too.

Steve Law
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by Steve Law »

Hi Andy n all,

Kerry and I are thinking of showing our faces, what time are you planning on getting to Tonbridge?

Regards
Steve

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Steve and Kerry
It would be great to see you both.
We are planning on being at the put in in Tonbridge at 10.00 am , early I know , but it is a long paddle and we will lose daylight at around 16.00.
Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

andy g wrote:Steve and Kerry
It would be great to see you both.
We are planning on being at the put in in Tonbridge at 10.00 am , early I know , but it is a long paddle and we will lose daylight at around 16.00.
Andy
Tony and I will be at the boathouse at 8.45 and leaving at 9, so if you need anything pop by or post it here.
Tim