Medway trip - Sunday 21st August 2011

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Paul Winslow

Medway trip - Sunday 21st August 2011

Post by Paul Winslow »

Hi All,

This is just to let you know that I’m running a trip on the River Medway on Sunday 21st August. The plan is to paddle from Yalding to East Farleigh – a distance of approximately 5 miles.

This stretch of river is flat and flows gently through some quite pretty countryside in a relatively deep valley. After 3 miles we will portage (carry our boats around) Teston Lock, or if conditions are appropriate we may be able to shoot the weir. There is a picnic site here, with a car park (with height barrier) and toilets - about 300m away across a field.

If it’s a nice day I would like to return to Teston at the end of the trip for a picnic or bbq. But if it’s too chilly or wet we’ll probably end up at a pub!!

This trip is open to everyone and suitable for anyone happy to paddle the distance!

We will meet at Yalding at 10:30am or if you have arranged to borrow club kit, let me know and I’ll meet you first at Danson Boathouse at 9:00am.

Please let me know if you are coming and if you need any further details or advice about what to wear or what to bring etc.

Happy paddling!

Paul

Email: paul.winslow@talk21.com
Mobile: 07710 876886

andy g
Expert

Re: Medway trip - Sunday 21st August 2011

Post by andy g »

It was a lovely paddle yesterday down the Medway , with much wildlife in evidence (and I am not including Malcolm coming fast the other way in his K1 while racing in a Hasler event) wonderful weather and good company. It was a good trip , thanks for organising it

Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

I agree with Andy,
great Sunday paddle in a picturesque part of Kent.
I did try taking a photo of Malcolm but was told 'not to bother...'
Meanwhile, Paul the recipe I was talking to Teresa about is:-
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9976 ... h-couscous
And you can buy Ras El Hanout at Tesco:-
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-pr ... b_85g.html

Once again thanks to you and all those that organise club trips.

Anyone know what happen to Malcolm?
Did he turn right at Hampstead Marina or is he still paddling?

MalcolmB

Post by MalcolmB »

This was not a Hasler race (They are over shorter distances). This was a Marathon race starting at Allington and going up to Tonbridge Canoe Club.
Wildlife on the Medway seen by me on the Sunday were a Kingfisher and a Heron.