Devon trip 15th 16th Jan

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Devon trip 15th 16th Jan

Post by andy g »

Many thanks to organiser Di, river leaders Ada and Cliff and Di , for a most enjoyable white water weekend.
The Tor Cafe bunkhouse was full of 12 paddlers, and for once we had water , the Dart was over/on the slab for all 3 days of paddling.
The advance party ran the loop on the Friday.
The main party ran the R Walkham on Saturday which was at a good high level. The "slot" proving to be the most interesting challenge, but only 2 swimmers so our rescue skills were not over-taxed.
Sunday was Dart from Newbridge to Buckfastleigh and again the levels were high, and so the river started off very crowded.
Two (or three) great days of paddling, good company, and even Tony paddled on 3 consecutive days (it must have been good)
Well done to Simon, and the other less experienced paddlers for coping well with the conditions and making the weekend one of the great ones.
Andy

Brian
Expert

Re: Devon trip 15th 16th Jan

Post by Brian »

Hi Andy
Do we have photographic evidence of Tony in a boat . As much as i love you Andy, i am not sure i can take your word for it as its almost as rare as the second coming to see Tony in a boat :D. :lol: (and thats almost as rare as me getting a reply to "any" of my posts) :lol:

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Well might you wonder Brian. He paddled the Loop on Day 1 with the smaller party and we all thought it would be a one-hit wonder.

Then he announced he was paddling on Day 2 on the R Walkham and we were all struck dumb in absolute amazement .

Then we really started to believe in miracles when he announced he was paddling on day 3 as well.

We have started to call him Tony (3 paddles) Hollaway now.

As usual he was a great driver and as helpful as ever at the bunkhouse etc , he even oiffered to finish off everyone else's spare drinks for them so they did not have the chore of carrying it back.

Those going to Lakes trip may witness this renaissance with their own eyes.

PS I think Joan was taking photos of his daring deeds and Simon may have even captured him on video, no less.
Andy

SimonC
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by SimonC »

Brian wrote:Hi Andy
Do we have photographic evidence of Tony in a boat . As much as i love you Andy, i am not sure i can take your word for it as its almost as rare as the second coming to see Tony in a boat :D. :lol: (and thats almost as rare as me getting a reply to "any" of my posts) :lol:
I can testify that I even cought a glimpse of Tony in the boat on film ;) ( as well as me crushing into Barry's open and sending him swimming - sorry Buzz!)
Thanks to everyone for a great weekend ,I had an amazing time and learnt a lot.

Simon

Timmy
Expert
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by Timmy »

Let me get this straight, Tony paddled three times in one weekend, hell has indeed frozen over. :twisted:

Tony, is that you blown out for the year or are you going to keep it up for the cumbria trip so i can paddle with you for the first time ever on a river :o