Recreational Paddling

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Recreational Paddling

Post by andy g »

Newer Paddlers and Familes,

During 2011 I (and possibly other leaders?) will be running a series of paddles in the South East , aimed at newer paddlers, paddlers with families, paddlers wanting more experience on placid water and paddlers who just want a nice trip out.

I was thinking of rivers like Mole (Surrey), Arun and Cuckmere (both tidal rivers in Sussex) Chelmer (Essex) Cam (Cambridge), the non-tidal upper Thames , Cherwell (Oxford) plus of course our old favourite the Medway, etc etc If anyone has a special one they would like to paddle please let me know.
Paul French also covers Kent with the Rother and the Canerbury Stour in his neck of the woods.

I hope that as we paddle these rivers you will not only enjoy the paddle (and the well chosen pubs at the middle or end) but will gain in confidence and feel up to tackling the slightly more demanding rivers like the tidal Thames.

Most of these will be very suitable for both open boats and kayaks , and we will make sure that any difficulties can be easily portaged.

In terms of ability we will aim at paddlers who have at least done a beginners course, or got their 1 Star or 2 Star awards, but those who are overqualified are equally welcome.
Paddlers with children/friends are welcome to bring them along as long as they meet the above criteria. A tandem paddled open boat may be able to bring along their non paddling (but water confident) children as passengers (subject to the leader's discretion)

I will start to post some of these as soon as the weather warms up.

Those who are more curious I recommend a book by Peter Knowles "Pub Paddles or The best short canoe trips in the south of England"

Please let me know if you are interested as you see me around at the lake or pool.

Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Recreational Paddling

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
count me in!
The book you quote is available at Amazon at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pub-Paddles-Sho ... 854&sr=1-1 and would make a good Christmas present!