Thames Trip : Sunday April 18th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Re: Thames Trip : Sunday April 18th

Post by andy g »

Giles
You are right , I expect that Jake & co. will need to rest at Westminster Boating Base before setting out on the return leg. I certainly would not advise setting out into the middle of the incoming tide.
Regards
Andy

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

andy g wrote:Giles
You are right , I expect that Jake & co. will need to rest at Westminster Boating Base before setting out on the return leg. I certainly would not advise setting out into the middle of the incoming tide.
Regards
Andy
Yes indeed. Having dallied with it myself before now, I personally wouldn't want to try and paddle anything other than a sea kayak or a racing boat into any kind of incoming tide so they're going to have a "bit of a wait" I would guess.
Slightly worrying as Jake (and presumably his friends from work) work on the river don't they? :? :?
Giles

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

jake_L wrote: Me and my 2 friends from work will meet you at Greenwich on the water. …….. paddle to Greenwich go up to London with you get off and have something to eat and drink and then padde back down to the o2. the tide shouldn't be to strong to paddle back at 14:00.
Randy Fandango wrote:
Err.... correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 2.00pm slap bang in the middle of the incoming tide???
http://www.pla.co.uk/pdfs/hydro/TOWER_P ... ctions.pdf
High tide is at 17.13.
Giles
andy g wrote:Giles
Regards
Andy
andy g wrote: …….completely clear of there by 14.00 having showered and packed oursleves up, as they wish to close all the doors whilst they are on the water during the afternoon session.
jake_L wrote: I hope me and my 2 friends can be of some brains to the group.
:D :D :D :D

Sorry Jake I couldn't resist......

Actually I do have a vaguely serious point: Have you all considered what you'll do if Jake and co can't wait around at WBB for the tide to turn?
Are they going to hang onto a mooring for 3 hours until the tide slackens? ;) (Bearing in mind there may well be a strong cold NE wind blowing at the time).
Presumably you have some sort of plan to ensure that there's enough car space and roofrack space to give them a lift back to Greenwich by road with the rest of the club?
Intrigued......
Giles

jake_L
Supporting Member

Post by jake_L »

If all goes to pot we can walk tp millbank and get a boat back down.

jake_L
Supporting Member

Post by jake_L »

But yes high tide is at 17:13 and by the time we get to WBB and have a rest, say by 14:00 ish we want to get back on the water we can go a bit more up river first b4 we turn round.

If it is bad weather and we have a NE wind we can very easy paddle to millbank and get a boat back down to TBW. The reson we said we can go back down is because we are having neap tides at the moment and the tide is not very strong allday. But we will see how it goes on the day and what we will do.

And yes Giles we all do work on the river. Me 2 years, and the other to 10 years one being a master mariner. Dont worry about us. :D

toe mouse
Expert

Post by toe mouse »

jake_L wrote:If all goes to **** we can walk tp millbank and get a boat back down.
Now now,
Remember young people could be reading this!
I find this helps me keep on track when posting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIyr5TXq ... re=related

;)

Tom

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Trust me Jake -- I wasn't worried about you. :-D
Sadly I won't be there to watch the amusing spectacle of you and the master mariner attempting to paddle into the fastest part of an incoming tide, neap or otherwise.
Oh and Jake mate, I've been paddling on the Thames for 30 years.... :P
Giles

Jack_Lamer
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by Jack_Lamer »

I think it’s safe to say that Giles experience out weighs all of you put together.

And if someone with such experience gives you advice Id be sure to take it!

Brian
Expert

Post by Brian »

From my experience on the Thames for what its worth (as I am neither a mariner nor can I walk on water ;) ) the clubs polo teams and I would often train on the Thames at Erith , a 35-40 minute “hard” paddle out against the tide would equate to about a 10-15 minute easy paddle back.
have fun and keep safe what ever you decide to do

jake_L
Supporting Member

Post by jake_L »

Im not turning down any advice. As i said we will do what ever on the day.
Thank you Giles for your consern and advice. But me and my master mariner will be fine.
Jake ;)