Medway Trip: Sun Feb 28th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Medway Trip: Sun Feb 28th

Post by andy g »

Folks
I am running the promised trip to the Medway on Sunday 28th Feb.
If the new canoe shoot at Eldriges Lock is available we will start from Tonbridge and run down to Hartlake (or Yalding if we have time), doing the chutes at Eldriges and Porters Locks.
If not then we will run from Hartlake to Yalding , with an upstream paddle to Porters Lock to run that chute and later the chute at Sluice Gate Weir.
We will try to use the chutes to get some practice at moving water skills. I hope it will be good practice for those of you about to go to the Barle on your first whitewater trip.
This trip is suitable for all who can paddle in a (reasonably) straight line in Opens or Kayaks, and have sufficient protective clothing for the expected cold air and water temperatures.
More details on timing etc nearer the date, but the early dusk is likely to entail an early-ish start.
Please indicate your interest
Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Medway Trip: Sun Feb 28th

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
count me in!
Found this interesting website about the Hartlake Bridge disaster in 1853.
http://tonbridgecollectables.com/page23.php
Some of our older members may remember it...
Tim

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Great Tim
Will be in an Open or a kayak?
We need a few more!
Regards
Andy

russell_haddock
Supporting Member

Post by russell_haddock »

James and I would like to come along.

Kerry M

Post by Kerry M »

Me and Steve will be up for it on the 28th. Let us know times etc nearer the time and shuttle runs. We'll both be happy to assist the younger and new people on the trip.

SimonC
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by SimonC »

Hi

Please count me and Paul in.
Would it be possible to borrow one of the larger ww kayaks for Paul so he can get some practise on moving water rather than using his touring boat?
Thanks

Simon

mark
Expert

Post by mark »

Simon simple question is Paul a club member? I think he is, if he is the fella I am thinking of.
If he is then you will need to make arrangements with Ada if not then speak with me

SimonC

Post by SimonC »

Hi Mark,

Yes ,he is a member(the one that swam in the lake on his first session ;) ).
Will pick up with Ada or you at the swimming pool or at the lake,haven't been to the pool for a while,bloody work!

Simon

Lauren Costelloe

Post by Lauren Costelloe »

Count me in please Andy

Lauren

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

OK Folks
Let's get down to some serious planning.
Unless we get biblical rainfall between now and Sunday it looks as if the top pound leading to Eldridges Lock will be very low , so we cannot paddle from Tonbridge, so I am planning to run from Hartlake Bridge to Yalding (as per last November's trip) There is currently a "Strong Stream Warning" which again is similar to the water conditions at last November's trip, but a lot can change between now and Sunday.
We will plan to paddle upstream from Hartlake to Porters Lock and try the canoe chute there (a different design to the one at Sluice Gate)
We will then run down through to Yalding using the weirs as moving water practice for those who wish, it may be possible to play in the weirpool at Yalding assuming the flow is not too powerful.
Here is a link to the Medway canoe trail which you may find interesting.
www.medwaycanoetrail.co.uk

Now about organisation
Meet at the boathouse at 09.40 to pick up boats and equipment, including helmets if you want to run the chutes. Aiming to leave by 10.15 if possible.
Please bring plenty of warm clothing, again I will bring some of my own to loan out for the day. Pogies or gloves are definitely a good thing while the water remains cold.
A hot drink in a thermos and a light lunch will also be good for those who need sustenance.

Drive to Hartlake, (via Tonbridge) and drop off boats and gear.
Run shuttles down to Yalding.
I hope to be on the water by 11.30 to 12.00
The run will take about 3 hours depending upon how much playing we do.
On all packed up at Yalding one car will need to go back to Hartlake for the shuttle car , finally back to the boathouse.

Those who are coming please indicate of you need a lift for yourself and your boat please.
I will have a car with 3 spaces.
Others
Lauren
Simon and Paul
Kerry and Steve
Russel and James
Tim
Any more for this trip of a lifetime?
June , Fizz