Medway Trip: Sun Feb 28th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Re: Medway Trip: Sun Feb 28th

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
what time do you plan to return to the boathouse?
Tim

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Not Sure , it depends upon how the day goes.
I would aim for no later than 17.30 but that is dependent upon everything going smoothly through the day.
Regards
Andy

Lauren Costelloe
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by Lauren Costelloe »

Hi Andy,

I will be needing to borrow a boat from the club and will also need transport for this down there please. I'm happy to drive others down there but with no roof bars, I'm not much help for boat transportation I'm afraid!

Thanks,
Lauren

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

No worries Lauren
I think we are going to be a relatively small group and I am sure we will have space for you and a boat.

There is a "Strong Stream Warning" out for the River Medway which means that paddling conditions are going to be much like last time, very easy paddling in the flow so we will make good progress downstream. The water is likely to be cold , but the forecast is that the day may be very wet , yet quite mild at 8 Deg C . Please dress accordingly

Everyone will be offered the chance to run the chutes , but they can easily be portaged if you don't fancy it on the day.

Regards

Andy

SimonC

Post by SimonC »

Hi Everyone,

I will have two spaces in the car and can take one boat if anyone is interested.
See you all on sunday!

Simon

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Hi Folks
It looks like we are going to be an exclusive group of 9. It would therefore make sense to run with max 3 cars, to minimise shuttles.

Steve Kerry and I will be taking it in turns to river lead , provide cover, and give some coaching.

We intend to do some simple breaking in and out, and possibly ferry gliding on moving water using the chutes, but nothing that can't be portaged if you don't fancy it.

There is a Strong Stream Warning currently in force, but as we found last time that should present no problems and it makes the flat water downstream paddling somewhat easier.

Apart from those already coming we will be joined by Lewis, using Jim's old IZ 220

Regards

Andy

fizzannand
Supporting Member

Post by fizzannand »

Hi andy
Cant make it sorry - have fun.
Fizz

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Thanks everyone who came , but what happened to Simon , Paul and Lewis ? We waited for you but at 10.30 we needed to get moving , please try to let someone know if you are not coming.

Luckily we were joined by Tony , who not only brings his infectious enthusiasm , but also his (in)famous van which proved a boon to get through flooded roads , to tow out poor Steve whose car succumbed to a flood too far.

The river was enormous, higher than we have ever seen it, the get on at Hartlake was level with the bank, Sluice Gate Weir was hardly any drop as the weir pool was almost level with the pound above, the get-ons were all underwater , but that was nothing compared to Yalding. The water was going over the top of the sluice gate! There was barely 30cms difference between the levels of the weir pool and the upper pound. There was hardly any room to get under the road bridge at the exit of the pool. The car park and the Marlin site were 2 feet under water!

Anyway despite an unpromising start the weather brightened up and we had a very good day on the river with lots of breaking in/out and ferry gliding. Thanks to everyone who helped , especially Tony and Russell for driving.

Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
thanks for arranging the day.
Quite an adventure,plenty of fast moving water,eddies,whirlpools and flooding.
And was just the roads getting there!
Once on the water it was a great experience to paddle in such challenging conditions and I think we all learned much from the day.
I will be putting out a CD of photos to all;Andy do you what to write a few words for the news letter?
Thanks to Tony and his van for the carrying (and towing but that's another story).
Tim

Lauren Costelloe

Post by Lauren Costelloe »

Thanks for a great trip Andy!

Lauren