Thames Trip Sunday May 4th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
samk
Expert

Thames Trip Sunday May 4th

Post by samk »

[Please note: this message is from the old forum. Please direct any queries to Andy Garlick]

For those of you not bound for the Treweryn that weekend you may be intersted in a tidal Thames trip , run from Westminster Boating Base (just upstream of Vauxhall Bridge)to Greenwich. Approx 9 miles of paddling through the most interesting part of London.
Start time from Westminster will be 14.00 on the river and finish at around 18.00 , but we will need to organise shuttles etc so it will probably take most of the day. We are planning to have a launch as back up, kindly provided by Tim Harlow and Bromley Scouts.
This trip is primarly being run for my group of DoE expedition trainees, but all club members with the right experience (approx 2*/3* and some exposure to long paddles) are welcome.
If you are interested please let me know well in advance, so I can plan accordingly.
Andy

andy g
Expert

Re: Thames Trip Sunday May 4th

Post by andy g »

I now have a set of instructions for paddlers on this trip, Either email me OG and I will let you have a copy, (for some reason my file will not atttach itself via the link below)
I will be bringing copies to the pools and other sessions over the next few weeks.
Hope to see you there
Andy ;)

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

I now have not only final instructions, but also the timetable, and details of the sights on view throughout the tip.
As we have a launch (RIB) provided by Sidcup scouts the back up is much better than normal, so it would be a good river trip for all paddlers of approx 2 * standadrd, who have had some river paddling experience.
Regards
Andy
Please let me know if you plan to come either via this forum or OG

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Many thanks to all who contributed to this great paddle down the river.
We had 7 Askes students (one was vomitting at the get-in!), and 9 Meridian paddlers making for a good group of mixed opens and kayaks down the river.
We also had the luxury of an RIB from both Thamesmead YMCA kindly provided by Tim Harlow and also a very fast 8 seater RIB from the Ahoy Centre, care of Tony Mason who was able to sheherd our progress through the busier shipping traffic.
The combination of an easterly wind and an ebbing spring tide produced some nice waves which were added to by the the cruisers. Although this was the first taste of a big river, and waves for many of the paddlers, they coped really well with the conditions and eveyone had a good time.
Many thanks to Liz and Hannah who caught us at the get out and helped the disabled paddlers to get ashore safely.
Next trip Greenwich to Erith anyone?
Regards
Andy :)

Brian
Expert

Post by Brian »

well done andy it sounds like the trip went as planned
keep us posted with any dates for the greenwich to erith trip i shall come along if possible
once again well done

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
Pencil me in as interested.
Tim

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

The Thames Paddle mystery.

Before the group set off from Pimlico, unfortunately one the Duke of Edinburgh people was ill and couldn’t take part. This meant that open canoeists Roger and Cheryl instead of going tandem went solo, quite a challenge for an 8 mile paddle on the busy Thames.

I can confirm the rumour that Roger went up river instead of down river is probably not true.
He didn’t think Battersea Power Station was the Houses of Parliament,
Albert Bridge was Tower Bridge and Chelsea Harbour was Canary Wharf.
Certainly Craven Cottage was not mistaken as The Globe Theatre, nor was Eel Pie Island as the Isle of Dogs.
Finally there is no truth in the rumour that when Roger eventually reached Teddington Lock he was surprised to find The Thames Barrier was closed.
These are just unsubstantiated rumours.

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

andy g wrote:Many thanks to Liz and Hannah who caught us at the get out and helped the disabled paddlers to get ashore safely.
Yes, I'd like to add my heart-felt thanks to you two as well for all the hard work you put in and for giving up a day of your valuable free-time to help ensure this trip went so well.
I'm not sure it would have gone half as well as it did without the leadership and expertise you gave to the project.
I salute you!
Giles
:lol: