Gillingham To Strood Sunday 2nd June 2019

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Gillingham To Strood Sunday 2nd June 2019

Post by Tharlow »

I am organising a trip on the Medway from The Strand, Gillingham to the Russian Submarine moored at Strood.
Photos from the last trip can be found at :-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1626

Timetable.
Meet at the boathouse at 09.00.
Load boats and leave at 09.30
Arrive at The Strand Car Park (£3.50 parking fee, toilets and café), Gillingham, ME7 1TT at 10.15.
Launch at 10.45.

Once launched we cross the shipping lane and head eastwards to Hoo Ness then continue to the northern shore of the Medway at Port Werburgh.
Then follow the northern shore passing Cookham Wood Fort remains, the various yacht clubs and Upnor Castle until we reach Strood where there are steps for us to get out and eat our packed lunches.
This is a 5 mile paddle.
HW at Strood is at 13:08 and we start the return about 14:00.
We cross the Medway to the southern shore and follow it along past Sun Pier, The Historic Dockyard, Chatham, Chatham Lock Gates and Corporation Wharf where we can view the paddle steamer The Medway Queen.

Then onwards to The Strand where I hope to land about 16:00.
This is shorter at 4.5 miles.

Return to the boathouse to unload boats and leave by 17:30.

The trip is 5 miles to Strood and 4.5 miles to return making a total of 9.5 miles.
Paddlers should be of a 2* standard.
This is an inter-club trip with our friends from Bewl Water and Maidstone Canoe Clubs.

If you are using club equipment, please book at:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1648

If you have any questions either post them here or ask me at the lake on Saturday morning.