Tour of Hoo Island Sunday 9th April 2017

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Tour of Hoo Island Sunday 9th April 2017

Post by Tharlow »

I am planning a trip to Hoo Salt Marsh Island in the Medway estuary to view Hoo Fort, abandoned wrecks, various wildlife and the newly restored Medway Queen paddle steamer .

This is a short trip of 5 miles but it does involve crossing the shipping lane twice and having the final hours of the incoming tide against us.
Therefore paddlers should be of a 2* standard. 

Chart of the area is at:-
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... ridge-2016

Timetable.
Meet at Boathouse at 09.00 to collect boats and equipment.
Leave at 9.30.
Meet at The Strand Car Park, Gillingham, ME 7 1RJ (free parking with toilets and café) at 10.15.
Launch at 10.45.
Cross shipping lane to south of Hoo Island and follow shore east and then head north to Port Werburgh.
Continue along northern shore to the remains of Cockham Wood Fort for packed lunch at 12.30ish.
High Water is at 12.43.
Leave 13.30.
Return to west of Hoo Island then cross shipping lane to Corporation Wharf, Chatham to view restored boats.
Return to The Strand slipway by 15.00.
Retire to café for those who want to.
I hope to be back at the boathouse by 16.30.
Low water is at 18.44.
This will be an inter-club trip with our friends from Bewl and Maidstone Canoe Clubs.
If you would like any more information please contact me via the forum.

Details of previous trips can be found at
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1402

If you are using club equipment, please book at:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1552&p=5980#p5980

I will be at the lake on Saturdays to answer any questions you may have.

Jules
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Tour of Hoo Island Sunday 9th April 2017

Post by Jules »

Notes from a happy kayaker:- It couldn't have been better weather for the trip and even though I'd done the trip before it was still exciting, with a variety of estuarine water conditions and different waters to explore. Only three of us turned up on the day, and we were sorry that many missed such a fab trip.
As we left Gillingham slipway and crossed the shipping lane the water was so still and the sky totally blue. Around Hoo island we passed the fort and then paddled through the little inlets of Hoo Island following the flow of the tide and thinking we might be wending our way back into the main estuary. But no we weren't, and the meandering rivulet came to a surprising dead end. We turned around and retraced our route.... could have got lost in the laberynth of waters as there were no signposts to help...... Great to think that few watercraft can ever explore there. The birdlife was great too and they're not too scared of kayaks, just thinking we are big birds! Only a little truth in that!!

With the calm water we were able to pass so close to the ancient rotting and rusting boats which have been left there in the mud to decay and topple - to protect the island from erosion. Back to the planned route in the Medway estuary and around Hoo island, we turned towards Cookham Fort (between Lower Upnor and Port Werburgh) to find choppy water, and then beached up near the fort for a bit of lunch. The return trip found us heading against the wind with more interesting waters on a high tide and making it bit more of a challenge.

Heading back to Gillingham slipway we heard the jet ski lads out in force, and they were parading round and about the Strand waters noisily crashing up and down doing crazy stunts on those boys toys. (All blokes I think they were - Do the gals do all that as well? - I don't think so!) We just hoped they would see sense and cool it as we kept a steady course for the shore. All OK and safely ashore after a lovely trip.

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Tour of Hoo Island Sunday 9th April 2017

Post by Tharlow »

And then there were three…

Despite inviting both Maidstone and Bewl Water CCs and chasing Meridian members, the lure of The Easter Hols won and so it was just Julia, Kathleen and myself on this trip and what a trip you all missed!

Not only the hottest day of the year so far but with no wind (and no waves) and rising mist made quite an atmospheric day.

It also made exploring the wrecks very easy.

The rising tide gave us the opportunity to follow it into Hoo Island and sample its tranquillity.

Then onto Cookham Wood Fort for lunch

With the tide turning to take us back, the wind arrived giving us a choppy crossing..

..and were joined by two sea-kayakers also returning to The Strand.

A short leisurely trip.
Must do it again!