Gillingham To Strood Sunday 26th March 2017

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Gillingham To Strood Sunday 26th March 2017

Post by Tharlow »

Please note: This trip is on the Sunday after the clocks have moved forward one hour from GMT to BST, ie you lose one hours sleep!

I am organising a trip on the Medway from The Strand, Gillingham to the Russian Submarine moored at Strood.
This trip is similar to the Discover Your Estuary Trail No 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD2NKBt1n9M
except we are not visiting Hoo Salt Marsh (we shall do that on a later trip).
Photos from the last trip can be found at
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1477

Timetable.
Meet at the boathouse at 09.00 BST.
Load boats and leave at 09.30 BST
Arrive at The Strand Car Park (free parking, toilets and café), Gillingham, ME7 1TT at 10.15 BST
Launch at 10.45 BST

Once launched we will cross the shipping lane and head eastwards to Hoo Ness then continue to the northern shore of the Medway at Port Werburgh.
We then follow the northern shore passing Cookham Wood Fort remains, the various yacht clubs and Upnor Castle until we reach Strood where there are steps for us to get out and eat our packed lunches. 
This is a 5 mile paddle.
HW at Strood is at 12:29 BST and we will set off soon afterwards.
We will cross the Medway to the southern shore and follow it along past Sun Pier, The Historic Dockyard, Chatham, Chatham Lock Gates and Corporation Wharf where we can view the paddle steamer The Medway Queen and the preserved Lightship. 
Then onwards to The Strand where I hope to land about 16:30 BST.
This is shorter at 4.5 miles.

We then return to the boathouse to unload boats and leave by 17:30 BST
LW Gillingham is at 18:34.

The trip is 5 miles to Strood and 4.5 miles to return making a total of 9.5 miles.
Paddlers should be of a 2* standard.
A chart of the trip can be found at 
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... ridge-2016

This is an inter-club trip with our friends from Bewl Water and Maidstone Canoe Clubs.

If you have any questions either post them here or ask me at the ask on Saturday mornings.

If you are using club equipment, please book asap at:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1544

Sandbag
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Gillingham To Strood Sunday 26th March 2017

Post by Sandbag »

Hi Tim,
Count me in, please.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

This clip is a very brief history of Chatham and what to see on our trip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oddD4W8nIo

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

After many days looking at the weather forecast for Sunday, it was clear we would be in for a very windy day with winds of 16+mph and possible gusts of 25mph...or so it was forecast…

Finally decided to go ahead with trip and make a final decision when we get to the slipway with a few Plan Bs on stand-by.

One look at the water and Julia didn't take long to decide going for a walk would be a better option for her.

So Sandrine, Dale, Phil, Martin, Gabe and myself from Meridian, Simon and Esmee from Bewl Water CC and Paul and Alison from Kent Scouts set off.
Crossing the shipping lane was quite rough paddling across both wind and tide but once we reached the wind shadow of Hoo Island the water became calm and we had a very enjoyable paddle.

At Upnor Castle, Paul, Alison and Esmee decided to make an early stop for lunch whilst the rest of us continued to Strood.

As planned, high water was at Strood so getting out wasn't a muddy affair but once we got onto the river embankment to eat our lunches, the wind really did blow.
On our return to the river the wind had also returned so we decided not to cross the river until further on at Chatham where it was sheltered.

Always interesting looking at the dockyard and various preserved boats.
http://www.vic56.co.uk/

It was after we passed the east lock gates towards St Mary's Island and out of the shelter of Chatham, the wind returned, fortunately we had the tide with us.

By the time we reached the west lock gates, the river was so rough, we were sea kayaking.
Made a brief visit to Corporation Wharf to view The Medway Queen then back to The Strand slipway….and its' mud!

The wettest and dirtiest part of a challenging but enjoyable trip.