South Wales Trip on February 17/18/19 2017

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

South Wales Trip on February 17/18/19 2017

Post by andy g »

On February 17/18/19th 2017 with help from other coaches I am planning a moving water trip to South Wales that will be suitable for those with very limited moving water experience. Please ask me if you are in any doubt about whether you have the relevant experience for this trip, in fairness to everyone we cannot take total novices who have not tried moving water. Although you will be able to walk around any of the sections you feel are beyond your abilities, you will get more from this trip with an open mind and a willingness to challenge yourself.

We will stay in a bunkhouse in the Brecon area and plan to paddle sections of the Rivers Usk and Wye.

We will provide 2 breakfasts and an evening meal on the Saturday evening at a cost of approx. £40. Please post below or on the club's FaceBook Page.

Andy

monchelsea
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: South Wales Trip on February 17/18/19 2017

Post by monchelsea »

Andy, can Chris & Tom Sloan express an interest in this trip and probably *2 others who are going to join the club and have moving water experience? Thanks.

mspeedie
Supporting Member

Post by mspeedie »

Hello Andy, I would be interested on going on this trip. Cheers Murray

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

So we now have:

Me
Martin & Gabe
Murray (possibly with family & dog?)
Keren
Gemma
Chris +3
Jack (possible)
Tony & Tim

So 15 to date , we really need about 20 so I am holding off opening up the trip to other clubs just yet. I really could do with some more coaches if possible.

Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Also adding Jim, Paula and Teresa in an open boat , and possibly Di (and Jenny?)

Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

So Guys ,

I have booked a bunkhouse that sleeps 20 , but there is a cottage on site which also sleeps 4 (and may be a more suitable environment for some?) Please let me know if you wish to take up the cottage option.

We have the following moving water beginners . Karen (yet to confirm) Gemma (yet to confirm) Lara Speedie, +2 (with Chris and Tom)

We also have the following coaches : Di , Jack (yet to confirm) Me , Paul (but paddling an open)

Plus the following intermediate paddlers: Jim , Teresa (but paddling an open with Paul), Chris S Tom S , Tim C , Tony H, Murray, Martin , Gabe,

Non-paddler : Jenny (who is an ace shuttle runner!)

Concerning travel , we will try to match up people so that we minimise the cars travelling. Normally a couple of us will go down early on Friday to have a quick paddle and assess the conditions, and call at the farm to set up the bunkhouse for later arrivals. Please let us know if you are able to provide spaces or need a lift.

I will also be asking for some help with shopping and other details nearer the time

Andy G (o) 7703 823619

Tsloan

Post by Tsloan »

Hi Andy,
the names of the other two hoping to come along with myself and Chris are
Sophie Pask and Loren Kennedy
They will be both joining the club online shortly

Thanks

Tom Sloan

Tim Collier

Post by Tim Collier »

Hi Andy

Has anyone taken the cottage yet? if not, Tony, Jack & myself would like it.

Let us know

Tim C

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

S Wales Trip Feb 18/19th
Folks, as we are now 2 weeks away from this trip I thought an update would be useful to those going:
Firstly who is going with whom, and when?
Jim & Andy (going down Friday morning for an early paddle) possible space for 2 more boats for a small contribution)
Diana and Jenny ( as above? Please confirm Di)
Tony, Tim, Jack (leaving Friday evening?)
Chris, Tom, Sofie & Lauren (arriving Friday evening)
Paul & Teresa (open boat on roof so no further space) Please confirm if leaving Friday evening
Martin & Gabe (leaving after school on Friday?)
Murray and Lara (leaving after school Friday?)
Keren, (own car but no roof rack)
Gemma, (own car no roof rack ) (can you 2 combine?)
Dave Alwyn (offered to drive , has roof rack?
Nikki (Adrian) Boyce would like to join us if there are any dropouts.

In addition we have possibly 6 others who are interested to join us but will stay elsewhere.

Mark, Jacqueline, Ryan, +1. They are self contained with large van for boats and gear.

Roman and Arina, who have no car and would need a lift.

That should sort out the transport and logistics, now for food and kit.
Firstly please let me know of any dietary considerations, I am aware of Jack, Nikki, being veggie , any others?
We are planning for a Sat main meal of vegetable soup and bread, roast chicken and veg or alternative veggie option, plus fruit and cheese & biscuits. The two Breakfasts will be cooked.

Secondly you although pillow and pillowcase are provided but please bring everything else you need, including a towel etc. Some indoor shoes are also recommended, as well as sturdy boots in case we go walking.

If you need to arrange to borrow boat, paddle, spraydeck and helmet from the club , please do this in good time through the website, and ensure that your boat choice is equipped with airbags and a bung. Please bring 2 sets of base layers, although there is a drying room , it will easily become very full , so dry layers for the Sunday are a nice treat. Please ensure you have a least a cagoule for your tops, and neoprene gloves or pogies if you suffer from cold hands.
Any queries please post here or on the club FaceBook page

Andy (o)7703 823619

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Hi Andy, I have the Friday off, but Teresa has to work in the morning. We'll be setting off shortly after lunch.