2 Star Assessment : Saturday 1st October, Sunday 2nd or Saturday 8th?

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Re: 2 Star Assessment : Saturday 1st October, Sunday 2nd or Saturday 8th?

Post by andy g »

Guys

As we will have a fairly full day and having discussed it with mark who is running a 1 Star assessment on Saturday, I suggest that we meet at around 10.00/10.30 with a view to being on the water by 10.00 latest.

Just a few words about preparations for this:
Firstly please make sure you have plenty of warm clothing, and are prepared to get soaking wet and pretty cold for at least an hour towards the end of the assessment, as I have to see the rescues individually, which means quite a lot of spectating while others perform. I will be wearing a dry suit with thermals and fleece underneath.

Secondly in order to protect the rescuer, the rescuee's boat must have air bags. Emptying a 300 kilo boat full of water can damage your back badly.
I don't mind what boat you use , but for the rescue work and underwater work it is essential that we use boats that are appropriate to the strength of those perfuming the rescue, so polo boats are not a good option (they have no grab handles or air bags and are not really designed to be manhandled when full of water, and so I would probably ask you to use something else for this part.

You might want to bring along some hot drink in a thermos, plus of course some snacks (or lunch) to eat when on or off the water.

I will only be issuing pass slips , if you want to register these with British Canoeing/BCU then there you need to send these to them with the appropriate fee.

I am hoping that we will see Julia, Murray, Tim, Will, possibly Gabe and Sandrine, plus from the polo side Ross, Andrew , and Joss.

Looking forward to a good day.

andy g
Expert

Re: 2 Star Assessment : Saturday 1st October, Sunday 2nd or Saturday 8th?

Post by andy g »

Well congratulations to all.

The weather and water temperature were not the best, but you all tried your best to perform the 2 Star skills well today.

Congratulations to those who delivered the skills to the required level, Martin will email you with the pass slip and 5 handouts giving some further information about access, safety, first aid for paddlers. For those of you wanting to progress your paddling skills in the future , it is well worth sending off this slip with the fee to British Canoeing and getting your award registered.

I am sure that those of you who were put off by the conditions will do much better in warmer water. It is clearly the underwater skills that are most tricky for some. In order to help these become much easier I strongly recommend practice in the pool. Come and find me during the Wednesday general session and I will run through the 3 basic rescues that you need.

Andy