Oare to Faversham via Isle of Harty Sunday 19th June 2016

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Oare to Faversham via Isle of Harty Sunday 19th June 2016

Post by Tharlow »

I am organising another trip from Oare across The Swale to Harty then down Faversham Creek hopefully to spot some seals.

Timetable.
Meet at boathouse at 8.30.
Load boats and leave by 9.00.
Arrive at Oare car park, Church Road, Oare ME13 0QA (free but NO toilets) at 10.15
Launch at 11.00.
Paddle across The Swale to Harty and paddle against the tide for a mile or so.
We then cross back over The Swale to Horse Sands to look for seals and wildlife, then into Faversham Creek and paddle to the Town Quay for lunch.
High Water is at 12.17.
We leave about 14.00 and return to Oare by 15.00
I hope to return to the boathouse by 17.30.
A chart of The Swale is at:-
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... chart-2012
and a chart of Faversham Creek is at:-
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... chart-2012

This 10 mile trip involves paddling across the tide and for a short time, against it; therefore paddlers should be of a 2* standard.
This is an inter-club trip with our friends from Bewl Water and Maidstone Canoe Clubs.

If you would like more information please contact me here or at the boathouse on the next two Saturday mornings.

Details of previous trips can be found at
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1383

Please note.
There is a beginners course also on this day so you can only use a touring boat (the yellow and orange Orcas, blue Capella, blue Verve or the Mega sea kayak).
Course members have first choice of boats for the weekend.
If any plastic boats are not required, you may use them.
Please talk to Mark or myself if you need a plastic boat.

Please make equipment bookings at:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1480

Sandbag
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Oare to Faversham via Isle of Harty Sunday 19th June 2016

Post by Sandbag »

Hi,
Yes please, count me in for that one as well.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Video of this trip can be seen at:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDw_FIgbkjw

SharonSwift
Supporting Member

Post by SharonSwift »

Hope it's not too late. Louie and I would like to come on this trip . Apologies for short notice. Also, if it's OK , my sister Chris would like to come. She came on the Thames trip and will bring her own boat.
Sharon

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

SharonSwift wrote:Hope it's not too late. Louie and I would like to come on this trip . Apologies for short notice. Also, if it's OK , my sister Chris would like to come. She came on the Thames trip and will bring her own boat.
Sharon
Sharon have you got transport for Chris, Louie and your boats?
Also don't forget to book equipment at:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1480

SharonSwift
Supporting Member

Post by SharonSwift »

We can bring 2 cars with roof racks so yes can take all 3 boats. What boat would you recommend for Louie. I would be happy with the blue mega I used on the Thames trip.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

SharonSwift wrote:We can bring 2 cars with roof racks so yes can take all 3 boats. What boat would you recommend for Louie. I would be happy with the blue mega I used on the Thames trip.
The blue Mega would be fine, can you book it out together with spray decks and paddles and a boat for yourself?

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Weather forecast was a light shower at lunch time, fortunately the wind blew this over and we had a dry but overcast day with the wind varying and coming and going.

Met with Steve from Bewl Water CC and launched into The Swale, headed north to Harty then into the tide to spot seals.

The mud bank where they bask was submerged due to the spring tide and with not one seal bothering to surface to see us, we headed with the tide into Faversham Creek.

Both in The Swale and the creek the wind made paddling hard work and it was only until we reached towards the creek end the wind dropped and I got talking to a local, commuting home to their houseboat..complete with their staff doing the paddling!

After lunch we set off and with the tide with us and the wind dropping it made excellent touring conditions.

Unfortunately the wind soon returned when we reached the marshes and with a falling tide made paddling a challenge.
However Sharon,

Julia,

Sandrine,

and Louie all coped very well.

Meanwhile Phil in the Capella chaired a Touring Sub-Committee Meeting to discuss the next trip for me to organise (none soon).

It was towards the end of the trip with the relentless wind and shallowing water we faced the most difficult part of the trip.
With only half a mile or so to the slipway at Oare and with the falling tide against us, the wind picked up from the south making this quite a challenge especially as we were all tired by now.

Well, I counted 8 paddlers out and I counted them all back..all happy with the day.

When I am asked why I want paddlers to be of a 2* standard, this trip illustrates why.
We can plan around tide times (and they can vary) but we have to adapt to changing weather on the day; in this case wind that was stronger than forecast which was at times was against us and other times across us.
Luckily there was no added rain.
Doing a 2* course will give you the confidence to deal with testing winds mixed with sometimes confusing water movement and the ability to keep going when you are tired.
Meridian runs 2* courses quite frequently, please ask Mark, Andy or myself when the next course is.
Last edited by Tharlow on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Post by Jules »

Great trip Tim. The variety of conditions added to the challenge and enjoyment of the trip:-

Crossing the estuary, variable wind and water conditions, the meandering creek where you turn a bend to face head on winds, calm waters at Faversham, passing the moored boats from ancient iron and wood construction to bygone sailing barges and the posh yatchs, the inflatable kayak lady with dog,. The 2 sit on kayakers travelling up the Creek against an ebbing tide towards an empty river bed! Wonder how far they got.........
8-)

Sandbag
Supporting Member

Post by Sandbag »

Thanks Tim for organising the trip and writing the report. It was a great day and a good way to test a new boat!
Hope the seals were not too disappointed to have missed us.