thames trip

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Re: thames trip

Post by Tharlow »

There are six outside the Houses of Parliament marking an exclusion zone.
Usually on the terrace there is an armed police officer keeping watch.
A gun in one hand and a cup of tea in the other...

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Paul Winslow wrote: .... A tug pulling barges on the Thames sounds four short blasts followed by two short blasts. What is he about to do?
Well..... technically he's informing you that he can't manoeuvre and that he's steering (or holding) to port.
If he means anything else then he could probably do with some CEVNI lessons... ;-)
Giles

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Randy Fandango wrote:
Paul Winslow wrote: .... A tug pulling barges on the Thames sounds four short blasts followed by two short blasts. What is he about to do?
Well..... technically he's informing you that he can't manoeuvre and that he's steering (or holding) to port.
If he means anything else then he could probably do with some CEVNI lessons... ;-)
Giles
Well, sort of.

The tug on the Thames sounding 4 short blasts followed by two short blasts is saying “I am turning around to port” (4 + 1 blast would be turning around to starboard)

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with CEVNI. However, navigation on the tidal Thames is covered by the International Regulations for
the Prevention of Collisions at Sea (ColRegs), PLA River Byelaws and PLA General Directions and Notices to Mariners.

For those who don't know (and I had to look it up!) CEVNI is the 'Code Européen des Voies de la Navigation Intérieure'. This is the European inland waterways equivalent of ColRegs. I'm not sure that it applies to the tidal Thames though.

Now Mark will have really lost the will to live!! ..... but it's all interesting stuff, I think! :)

Paul

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Interesting. I assume that's covered by the following bits from the Colregs (IRPCS):

"IRPCS
Rule 35
Sound signals in reduced visibility.

k) A pilot vessel when engaged on pilotage duty may in addition to the signals prescribed in paragraphs (a), (b) or (g) of this Rule sound an identity signal consisting of four short blasts

Rule 34
Manouevring and warning signals.

(a) When vessels are in sight of one another, a power-driven vessel underway, when manoeuvring as authorised by these Rules, shall indicate that manoeuvre by the following signals on her whistle:

• two short blasts to mean “I am altering my course to port”

Certainly interesting that they vary from the CEVNI rules but then I guess a pilot vessel or a tug doing its job simply can't "manoeuvre" out of your way even if it wanted too. Kind of... ;-)
Giles

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

...and if we see a boat showing two cones pointing towards each other in a vertical line,what should we do?

jake_L
Supporting Member

Post by jake_L »

Is there anyone I could catch a lift with?

john west

Post by john west »

Paul

I'd like to go on the Thames trip this Sunday but I do not have much experience or any BCU awards

I'm a new member and have only been on the lake 4 times and in the pool once - plus I hope to be there tonight. Is this good enough to paddle on the Thames or would I be better suited having more sessions on the lake and go on the Thames the next time a trip is available.

Many thanks.

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Tharlow wrote:...and if we see a boat showing two cones pointing towards each other in a vertical line,what should we do?
Check to see if it's skipper's drunk as he's clearly crashed into (and is carrying along) a west cardinal mark....
Giles

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Randy Fandango wrote:
Tharlow wrote:...and if we see a boat showing two cones pointing towards each other in a vertical line,what should we do?
Check to see if it's skipper's drunk as he's clearly crashed into (and is carrying along) a west cardinal mark....
Giles
He's also fishing...

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

The car park in Park Row is no longer free on Sundays.
It will cost £7 to park for more than 4 hours.
Details at http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/T ... kRow05.htm

The days of getting something free from your council have gone...