thames trip

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Paul Winslow

Re: thames trip

Post by Paul Winslow »

Hi All,

Here are a few more details about the Tidal Thames Bridges trip on Sunday 16th November.

We will be paddling approximately 9 miles from Greenwich (SE10 9NW) to Westminster, in all probability getting off the river at Westminster Boating Base (SW1V 3JY). I will be able to confirm this part on Sunday afternoon (9th).

The trip is open to any paddlers at around 2 star level and above, but please let me know in advance if you plan to come. This is a kayaking trip with appropriate safety cover provided by kayakers i.e. there won’t be any powered safety boats accompanying us.

We will be meeting in the public car park in Park Row, Grewenwich at 9:30am (it’s free on a Sunday). The shuttle will take 45 minutes to an hour depending on the traffic.

I want to be paddling by 11am as this will enable us to catch the best part of the tide. It will be a spring tide with HW at London Bridge at 3:45pm. We should be getting off the river between 2 and 2:30pm, but this will depend how much ‘playing’ and ‘sightseeing’ we do along the way.

You will need to come prepared for what might be a cold and windy day. So in addition to your usual winter kit you should have a warm hat and maybe some pogies.

It would be a good idea to bring snacks and drinks to have in your boat, and something to eat after the trip. I am not planning a lunch stop on the river.

I will add to this when I have confirmed where we are getting off the river, but please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Paul Winslow

email: paul.winslow@talk21.com

Mobile: 07710-876886

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Paul
Count me in , I always enjoy these trips . I am happy to be in charge of a group , or just paddle by myself , whichever is more useful to you.
For those in need my home is a 400 m walk from the start, if you needa last minute dash to the loo!
Regards
Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

There is an interesting site about the Thames at:-
http://www.the-river-thames.co.uk/riverthames.htm
Who knows what a bale of hay hanging from a bridge means?

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Tharlow wrote:Who knows what a bale of hay hanging from a bridge means?
It means the bridge is being repaired .... ask me another!! :roll:

Also, I now have confirmation that we can use Westminter Boating Base's pontoon for getting off the river after Sunday's trip.

Paul Winslow
07710 876886

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Paul Winslow wrote:
Tharlow wrote:Who knows what a bale of hay hanging from a bridge means?
It means the bridge is being repaired .... ask me another!! :roll:

Also, I now have confirmation that we can use Westminter Boating Base's pontoon for getting off the river after Sunday's trip.

Paul Winslow
07710 876886
Not quite,it means headroom is restricted (at night, a white light).
And five short blasts of a boat's horn?

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Tharlow wrote: Not quite,it means headroom is restricted (at night, a white light).
Yes, headroom may be restricted ... but as a result of repairs or maintenance to the bridge!

Five short blasts means "I (or maybe you!?) don't know what you're doing - please make your intentions clear"

Here's one for you .... A tug pulling barges on the Thames sounds four short blasts followed by two short blasts. What is he about to do?

Will there be a test on the COLREGS at the end of Sunday's trip? :)

Paul

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Paul Winslow wrote: .... A tug pulling barges on the Thames sounds four short blasts followed by two short blasts. What is he about to do?
Four short blasts followed by two short blasts?
So... do you mean six short blasts then? In that case he's about to collide with you so you'd best get out of his way! ;-)
Giles

mark
Expert

Post by mark »

I am begining to question if I want to go on this trip, I was looking forward to a nice paddle in the sun not a series of lessons on short blasts

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Paul Winslow wrote:
Tharlow wrote: Not quite,it means headroom is restricted (at night, a white light).
Yes, headroom may be restricted ... but as a result of repairs or maintenance to the bridge!

Five short blasts means "I (or maybe you!?) don't know what you're doing - please make your intentions clear"

Here's one for you .... A tug pulling barges on the Thames sounds four short blasts followed by two short blasts. What is he about to do?

Will there be a test on the COLREGS at the end of Sunday's trip? :)

Paul
About to overtake on my port (left) side.

And what does a yellow buoy with a large yellow X on top mean and where will we pass one on the Thames?

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Re. Here's one for you .... A tug pulling barges on the Thames sounds four short blasts followed by two short blasts. What is he about to do?
Tharlow wrote:About to overtake on my port (left) side.
Sorry Tim, Two long blasts followed by two short blasts = "I am about to overtake you on your port side"

Does anyone else know? It's commonly heard on the Thames on working days although not so likely we'll hear it on Sunday.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Tharlow wrote:And what does a yellow buoy with a large yellow X on top mean and where will we pass one on the Thames?
Yellow bouys (all shapes) with a yellow X are 'Special marks'. They can mean anything and will usually correspond with a description on the Admiralty chart e.g. 'deep channel' etc. I can't tell you where we will pass one, but I bet there are more than a few in the tideway!

With apologies to Mark who apparently isn't having a blast!! :lol:

Paul