2 Star Courses in 2016

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

2 Star Courses in 2016

Post by andy g »

Guys

I plan to run two separate 2 Star courses during 2016 for members.

The first will be for experienced paddlers who for some reason have not previously obtained the qualification. This will be a fast track approach as most of those attending I am assuming will already have good skills, but may need to get proficient at some of the topics they don't normally tackle like rescues, or Open boating etc.
I am envisaging a couple of pool sessions, one lake session and one day for assessment at the lake or similar venue.
Since most paddlers at this level will (hopefully?) have plenty of outdoor kit and not worry about getting cold this course will run early in the season.

The second will cater for holders of the 1 Star award who wish to progress through to the next level. This will build on the course last year, but learning the lessons from that , it will be more structured, and attendance at the skills sessions will be mandatory. I am envisaging at least 3 or 4 pool sessions and 3 lake sessions will be necessary before an assessment day.
Paddlers for this course probably will not be as "hardy" as those for the above , so it will take place in early summer once the water is warmer.

Could you possibly give me some idea of numbers interested in each of the above options please.

Andy

Tim Collier
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: 2 Star Courses in 2016

Post by Tim Collier »

Hi Andy, I'm interested just need to confirm the dates.

Tim C

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Welcome Tim, dates will hopefully be published soon , but will need to avoid clashes with polo and other club activities.

Andy

Sandbag
Supporting Member

Post by Sandbag »

Hi Andy,

I am very much interested in the second option i.e. long process.
For Lauren, it will depend on when the training sessions are and on her exam dates.

Sandrine

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

You are very welcome Sandrine , I will post dates as soon as I can.

I fully understand about Lauren, her priorities are clear.

Andy

FearlessPhil
Supporting Member

Post by FearlessPhil »

Hi Andy,

I'd be interested in going for the 2 star, although not sure if I'd describe myself as an experienced paddler. Maybe a need for a judgement call on your part.

Regards

Phil

Martin Boardman
Site Admin

Post by Martin Boardman »

Andy,

I think Gabe would benefit from doing the 2* this year, probably best to enrol him for the summer course. I will struggle to get him on the midweek pool sessions though, so might need to do some lake rescue practise sessions with him.

Martin.

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Guys

I am going to start this week (Feb 3rd) with a pool session on rescues. This will provide the basic foundation you need in order to tackle the 2 Star assessment with skill and confidence.

We will concentrate on eskimo rescues, but also tackle X rescues and self rescues if there is time.

Please come and join us at the deep end!

Andy

Jules

Post by Jules »

I could be up for a fast track to bCU since I was on last year's course and didn't make it through. :roll:

Gds

Post by Gds »

hi Andy, is it too late for Jessica to join for the 2 star course. :D Thanks Graham