Medway Valley Sunday 30th August 2015

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Medway Valley Sunday 30th August 2015

Post by Tharlow »

I am organising a trip in the Medway Valley from Strood to Halling and return.
We meet at the boathouse at 9.00.
Load boats and leave at 9.30.
Arrive at Strood Steps, Canal Road, Strood, ME2 4DR at 10.30.
Please keep cars to a minimum and the nearest toilets are at Strood Station, if open.
Launch at 11.00 and head up river with the incoming tide passing under Rochester and Medway Bridges to Halling or Wouldham (5 miles) to have lunch.
High Water at Wouldham is at 14.14, so we will leave soon after to catch the tide to take us back to Strood.
I plan to arrive back at Strood Steps by 16.00 and return to the boathouse by 17.30.
Low Water at Strood Pier is at 20.45.
A chart for Strood and Rochester is at
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... 2012-chart
and for the Medway Valley at
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... ter-charte
Paddlers should be of a 2* standard.
Photos of last trip are at:-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1300
Please note the mud and debris on the shore when launching.

This will be an inter-club trips with our friends from Bewl Water and Maidstone CCs.

I'm at the boathouse for the next few Saturdays and will answer any queries you may have.

FearlessPhil
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Medway Valley Sunday 30th August 2015

Post by FearlessPhil »

Hi Tim,

If you recall we spoke last Saturday about the lift to take the kayak for this trip. Can you send me Kathleen's contact? my mobile is 07912 354667

Thanks

Phil

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Medway Valley Sunday 30th August 2015

Post by Tharlow »

Julia, Kathleen, Phil and myself met up with Steve, Alan and Jon from Bewl Water CC on a rather overcast morning.

Unfortunately the right half of photos are not shown.
To view the complete picture, right click on picture and click on 'Open image in new tab', then click on picture for bigger size.

With a rising tide, the launch was not so muddy and we inspected the rusting Russian submarine.

Next the three Rochester Bridges..

..then the three Medway Bridges.

We a fast moving tide we made swift progress, maybe too swift for other river users..

..but swift enough for Phil to enjoy his first river trip.

With the tide behind us we decided not to stop at Halling but continue to Snodland for lunch.
Not quite sure what high-energy lunch Julia had but its affects appeared to be immediate.

With the tide still rising under our feet, we decided to get back on the Medway and look at the new bridge being built at Wouldham.

Then back to Strood.

A total round trip of 15 miles.