Thames River Trip May 10th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Thames River Trip May 10th

Post by andy g »

Folks

Tim Harlow and I are thinking about a Thames trip from Greenwich to Battersea on Sunday 10th May.

The tides are about as favourable as they can be for such a paddle , so we need to plan for that day. We would get on in Greenwich (either the Trafalgar Tavern , or Greenwich Yacht Club depending upon the group) and get off just past Battersea Bridge.

This is quite a lengthy paddle, and does require some basic fitness and ability to keep going. You also need to be able to confidently avoid hazards on the water. Please ask Tim or myself if you would like to join this trip and so that we can assess whether you are of the required standard.

Although long , the trip has almost constant interest especially between Tower Bridge and Albert Bridge , and seeing the city from the water gives you a whole new perspective of its sights.

Andy

Jules
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Thames River Trip May 10th

Post by Jules »

I' m probably interested in this one but it does sound a long way how faR. ?

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Depends on who wants to go!

From Greenwich Yacht Club to Battersea Church Slipway is about 19 miles...
However, the shortest is from The Trafalgar Tavern to Westminster Boating Base is 9.45 miles
But...
the tide will be with us, so you won't be paddling that distance, the piece of water you're in is going the same way too!

Andy and I are keen to get some new faces on this trip, so please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

fiona.ng

Post by fiona.ng »

Hi Andy and Tim,

I would like to go please as I have missed the last few years' trip.

What boat do I need? Is my Inazone sufficient for the trip?

Thanks

Fiona

awong

Post by awong »

Hiya

Can beginners join the Thames trip? If so would be interested in coming along.

Thanks
Ada

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Fiona

You will be very welcome.

The InaZone will be hard work, and I would advise getting a longer boat, but it is up to you. If you do bring the IZ then be prepared for it being tiring.

Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Ada

We are keen to encourage newer paddlers to come on this trip , but it all depends upon how much experience you will have gained before May 10th.

If you are genuinely just starting out on your paddlesports development , it is probably not for you. But if you have gained all the basic skills via a beginners course and are practicing regularly at the lake and pool then it is possible that we would be prepared to take you. Could you make contact with Tim or I and get us to assess your paddling skills. We will then make a decision.

In the past we have stipulated that paddlers should be of 2* standard, whilst we have rethought this, you do need to be able to paddle to avoid the moving and static hazards that this trip encounters, to keep up with the group, and to be able to carry out the river leaders' instructions.

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Another idea for those who maybe feel challenged by the distance would be to paddle this in a Duo. That way you share the effort needed and we can pair you up with a more experienced paddler.

Would anyone like to consider this?

Andy

Jules

Post by Jules »

Since I am paddling the previous day on the terrific Seapoint Medway trip I shall be pleased to take on a canoe double type of trip on this Thames trip, and vote I double up with Tim H. I think he will be amenable, and naturally I'll let him do all the work :roll:

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Julia

I envisaged that the Duo(s) would be used by those who are somewhat newer to paddling :)

Let us see who wants to come , and we can then allocate them to those whose need is greatest. :?

Ada , you might wish to consider this option?

Andy