Simmonsbath Barle Trip: March 21/22

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Simmonsbath Barle Trip: March 21/22

Post by andy g »

Folks

The last club whitewater trip of this winter season will be organised by Di on the weekend of March 21st and 22nd.

This trip is one of the best for whitewater beginners, you should ahem some experience of breaking in and out of the flow at Yalding, or Lee Valley, and that should be sufficient. I am prepared to lead you down the river.

Accommodation will be in the bunkhouse at Simmonsbath , breakfasts are provided , and we eat at the local pub on Saturday.

Price is around £40 pp, but Di will conform this.

Please let Di or me know if you are coming.

Andy

Jane
Expert

Re: Simmonsbath Barle Trip: March 21/22

Post by Jane »

Sorry i am working that weekend ( well pushing buttons ;) )
Brian

fizzannand
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by fizzannand »

Yes please - count me in

Fizz

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

I think I got a couple of points incorrect with my earlier post.

The weekend cost is closer to £50 than £40 but that does include the evening meal on Saturday evening.

Some folk will try to do a paddle on Friday afternoon to gauge paddling conditions. Others will drive down after work. There should be spaces in cars for most people.

In addition to Di , Fizz and I we so far we have interest from Polly, Steve, and possibly Gary.

I will try to run at least 1 and possibly 2 sessions at Yalding prior to this trip so that those wishing to brush up on their moving water skills are sufficiently confident to tackle the Barle. It is normally a Grade 2 river , BUT in high water conditions it can become quite tricky due to tree hazards, so the decision whether anyone can paddle it is vested in the river leader.

Andy

SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Hi Andy,
I know we chatted about this on Wednesday and when I got home I found I am working that w/e. If there is any chance it could be the following week 28/29 I could do it. I appreciate Di may have booked it already but I thought it was worth a mention.
Steve

Polly

Post by Polly »

Count me in too - Polly :)

fiona.ng

Post by fiona.ng »

I really like to go too and I have been going to the Barle since I joined Meridian in 2009.

I have checked and it clash with polo which I know alot of you might frown at me now. I did contact the organiser to ask for change of date but as its near the end of the season, there are no other dates. I can do the weekend before 14/15 March if there i. any chance to change.

It very frustrating for me too....

Fiona