Moving Water Trip to Nene Centre : Sunday August 31st

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Moving Water Trip to Nene Centre : Sunday August 31st

Post by andy g »

Folks
Having asked around I believe there will be enough support for a club trip to the Nene White Water Centre , near Northampton) on Sunday 31st August.

More info on the centre here : http://www.nenewhitewatercentre.co.uk/p ... -play.html

The cost will be approx. £12 per adult and £9 per youth.

This trip is suitable for those who with basic minimum moving water experience. Please ask me if in doubt.

The water is not as challenging as Lee Valley , and therefore should be a useful building block of experience ready to tackle bigger challenges in the future, and to prepare you for one of the club's winter trips to the River Barle perhaps.

More details nearer the time.

Andy

OSB
Expert
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Moving Water Trip to Nene Centre : Sunday August 31st

Post by OSB »

Good news Andy, and I'm happy to help out on and off the water.

Jules

Post by Jules »

This may be one for me although its a bit far away. Do we get to use their gear? I'll check the website, talk to folk, and then decide. Thanks.

Gary
Supporting Member

Post by Gary »

Hi Andy, I'd like to go on this trip. Can you let me know the details. How we get there and if we need to take equipment?

Thanks gary

Jules

Post by Jules »

Hi Andy

I heard that this trip may now be to Lee Valley. can you let us know if that's correct and if its confirmed.
Thanks
Julia

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Folks
The Nene Centre are being singularly unhelpful in letting us use their centre on Sunday , the only time slot available is 16.00 to 18.00 , and we have to take and pay for one of their coaches, so I have reformulated plans.

This Sunday will be a Yalding trip, if there are sufficient sluice openings in the weir pool at Yalding we will focus our efforts there , and possibly do a "round the island" trip at the end.
If the sluices are not opening, or only infrequently, we will paddle up to Sluice Gate weir and use the canoe chute.

Meet at the boathouse at 10.00 for collection of kit , and arranging transport etc.

Those coming

Me
Sam D
Dave Aylwin
Gary
Julia
Sam
Oliver
Carl

This will be the last Medway session before a trip to Lea Valley in September. Giles has very kindly offered his coaching skills for a trip using the lower half of the Legacy course, which is a nice step up from Yalding.
Those who demonstrate a sufficient level of skill can then go up the escalator to the upper part of the course where all the features are bigger .

After these two trips, if you make good progress, you should be well prepared to come on the club Barle trip in October.

Andy (0) 7703 823619

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Thanks to Sam D and Dave Aylwin for helping on the coaching at Yalding weir pool yesterday.

Although the gates did not open we had a good session playing in the chute and at the bridge. Well done to Gary, Julia and Steve for trying so hard and managing quite a number of the moves we asked of you.

Now for Lea Valley!

Andy

Timmy
Expert

Post by Timmy »

Andy, have they moved the goal posts regarding qualifications or are they just trying to get more cash from group/club bookings?

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Not really sure Tim,
I think the basic problem is that they are totally focussed on Rafting now , with Kayakers a very poor second. The only slot available for an open session was 16.00 to 18.00 on a Sunday afternoon, which is hardly convenient when folk want to be back on Sunday night at a reasonable hour.

They were insisting that non 3* holders needed a BCU Level 3 Coach/ UKCC Level 2 with MWE, and we didn't have any of those signed up for the trip. Otherwise you had to hire one of their coaches.

Andy