Medway Valley Trip. Sunday 27th July 2014

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Medway Valley Trip. Sunday 27th July 2014

Post by Tharlow »

The tides are not favourable the next few weekends for another trip into the Medway estuary so this is a good reason to explore the Medway Valley.
We meet at the boathouse at 9.00.
Load boats and leave at 9.30.
Arrive at Strood Pier, Canal Road, Strood, ME2 4DR. at 10.30
Launch 11.00.
Have a good look at the moored Russian Submarine (the owners are looking for a new home) and then head up river with the incoming tide passing under Rochester and the Medway Bridges to either Cuxton (3 miles), Halling or Wouldham (5 miles) depending on the enthusiasm of the group and finding a good spot to have lunch.
High Water at Wouldham is at 14.12 so we will leave soon after to catch the tide to take us back to Strood.
I plan to arrive back at Strood by 16.00 and return to the boathouse by 17.00.
Low Water at Strood Pier is at 19.48.
A chart for Strood and Rochester is at
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... 2012-chart
and for the Medway Valley at http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... ter-charte

Paddlers should be of a 2* standard.

I'm not at the boathouse for the next two Saturdays, so if you have an queries, please contact me via the forum

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Medway Valley Trip. Sunday 27th July 2014

Post by Tharlow »

Fortunately the forecast rain passed overnight and we had a warm day with little or no wind on the Medway.
Launching from the steps by Strood Pier proved to be the most difficult part of the trip.

Then off for a close inspection of the Russian submarine.
According to locals, the interior has been recently used for film work.

Then under the Rochester bridges, three along side each other.
A road and railway bridge on each side with another new road bridge in the middle.
Beyond Rochester bridges ,the Medway becomes very wide and it is here where Short Brothers built and flew their seaplanes and flying boats in the 1930s.
Today the factory has been replaced by homes.

Next came the Medway bridges.
Again three, with a road, well motorway, bridge on one side and a railway, well Eurostar, bridge on the other and another motorway bridge in the middle.
Can't say I enjoy looking at concrete but being on the water is a great place to view the bridges.

Whilst being under the bridges, Eurostar crossed over and even though we were on the water, we could feel the vibration of the train.
This was the first time The Earth moved for Julia whilst paddling.....

From here the Medway widens again with various marinas with a wide collection of boats, houseboats, barges, yachts and wrecks.

Because of lack of wind we had a smooth paddle until became to The Kent Ski and Jet Ski Club...
who provided us with some welcome waves and moving water!

Some of the houseboats whilst in a beautiful location, looked somewhat... challenging to live in!

We found a pontoon at Halling where we could get out and have lunch and watch the tide slowly change.
Then headed back passing though some wonderful countryside.

Passing under the Medway bridges, again The Earth moved for us thanks to another Eurostar and as we returned to Rochester, the Sun eventually emerged.

An interesting trip with an opportunity to see the the various old and industrial parts of the Medway.