April Moving Water Trip?

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
SteveG
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: April Moving Water Trip?

Post by SteveG »

Hi Andy,
I don't know if this is the correct place to put this but someone told me today I need a one start assessment before I go on trips. Never heard about this before. Can you or someone please advise me where I go from here.
Thanks Steve

andy g
Expert

Re: April Moving Water Trip?

Post by andy g »

Steve
Your information is not quite correct.
All trips when announced include a "standard" that the trip leader feels all participants should have attained. It is up to the leader to make this call very early in their planning and announce it clearly when the trip is posted.

For recreational trips this would normally be 1 Star, or for more challenging conditions then 2 Star (or possibly even higher) may be judged necessary, however for some of the easiest rivers/lakes perhaps the standard could be "having completed a beginners course".

For moving water trips, the easiest rivers require "some moving water experience" (this could be a trip to the Medway for the weirs or canoe chutes) , intermediate rivers usually require previous river trips , more challenging rivers of higher grade may require all of these and "a confident moving water roll"
These are not carved in stone , but given as a guideline for river leaders.

They are not chosen arbitrarily , but to protect the trip/river leader and ensure that the group is not put at risk by including paddlers of inappropriate ability or experience.

If in any doubt about this , please ask the organiser or river leader if you meet the criteria for that trip.

Andy