Medway Trip : Sunday March 16th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
OSB
Expert
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Medway Trip : Sunday March 16th

Post by OSB »

That won't work. We're never going to see Tim again after his surf trip to France tomorrow.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

OSB wrote:That won't work. We're never going to see Tim again after his surf trip to France tomorrow.
..and the bad news is?

Timmy
Expert

Post by Timmy »

Mad I maybe, stupid I ain't, as much as I tried no fool fancied joining me (man did I try), fed the ducks instead :roll:

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Guys
The original concept of this trip was to help beginners with early moving water skills. Therefore it makes more sense to concentrate on one location for this , rather than a river trip of some distance.

Obviously we can refine this as we learn who is attending, but I would propose that we start at Yalding, possibly paddle around the island as a warm up , and then do some weir play either below the bridge, or as paddlers want to progress into the weir pool above.

This trip is still suitable for all paddlers, but the format will suit those wanting to progress their moving water skills.

Andy

Timmy
Expert

Post by Timmy »

Hmm, maybe a trip to Shepperton would fulfill the intended brief better, I can't see Yalding doing anything useful for a while, due to the amount of ground water, if theres even a whiff of rain they will fully open the sluice and drain both sides.
Maybe best to pencil in the day and decide a day or two beforehand?

Jules

Post by Jules »

Hoping I can join in this trip because I have said I'd like to try some white water. I have gained my 1 star but haven't mastered a roll yet. I'm thinking should I be doing the pool on wednesday's to try it? it would help to get me there on a wed if I knew someone could help me out to try again to do roll. :oops:

Julia

juleswords@yahoo.com

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Julia
There are normally several members at the Wednesday general pool session who will help you with learning to roll. Ask around and you should find all the help you need.

Having said that, I would say that it more important that your support strokes are spot on , before you learn how to cope when they don't work. Again it is good to practice these in the pool , as you can afford to be that bit more brave when the water is warm.

Many folk go on white water trips well before their roll is reliable in the pool , let alone outside. As long you have some moving water experience (eg: breaking out , breaking in , and ferry gliding) you would be OK on one of the club's lower grade trips , like the River Barle.

Andy

Jules

Post by Jules »

OK thanks, will do wednesday at the pool. I'm told its all about "edging" so best I get going.

JackA

Post by JackA »

Hi Andy
My son, Jack (Amies) is a new member to the club and would love to join the Medway trip on 16th March.
However, we are not sure exactly how this works -do you provide boats/equipment etc, and transport, or do we make our own way?
Also we haven't yet received any communication from the club so just making sure you have my email address.
Many thanks,
Val Kirkman

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Val
Jack would be most welcome on the trip, because of his age we would like you (or an alternative adult) to be there with him, although not necessarily paddling.
We will meet up at the Clubhouse at about 10.00 am , and get everyone kitted out with boats and personal equipment, so all he would need should be towel , his own trunks and base layers and a fleece if you have one, old footwear and a happy smile.

We try to minimise the number of cars travelling , by taking as many boats and paddlers in each one as we can (usually about 4) and I am pretty certain that there would be a place for you both somewhere. However if Jack wants to progress to other events and trips you might want to think about roof bars for your car so you can transport a boat for him. Talk to us about this before buying anything.

This trip is focused around paddlers who wish to develop moving water paddling skills , so although there will be some paddling on the river to warm up , we plan to spend most of the time in the weir pool at Yalding introducing paddlers to the moving water there.

Just in case my mobile number is (o) 7703 823619

Andy