Water Safety Work: August 31st

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Water Safety Work: August 31st

Post by andy g »

Guys
There are vacancies for safety kayakers for the Great London Swim on Saturday 31st August.

This is an all-day commitment with an early start, but the pay is better than usual at £100.

There will be several Meridian paddlers on duty (including me) so we may be able to share cars.

You need to be BCU/CE 2* minimum and preferably holder of FST (or higher) , and best of all Swim Event Safety Award (SESA). You need to be paddling a large-ish boat (creeker, river runner or sea kayak), no play boats or opens.

Please let helen.lanson@nova-international.com know if you can make it.

Andy

sinkingpara
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Water Safety Work: August 31st

Post by sinkingpara »

Any idea if they need people with Powerboat qualifications as well?

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

To the best of my knowledge they only need safety kayakers this time, but applying early next time would certainly get you a job on the powerboats.

As you are probably aware the safety team at an event like this is massive, as many of the swimmers are doing open water swimming for the first time, and you wouldn't believe just how many get into trouble during each swim wave. The team needs to keep them all safe (sometimes from themselves!)

There are normally several powerboats (as I understand it you have to have RYA 1 & 2 Powerboating, and Safety Boat , plus you have to supply your own boat) as well as about 100 safety kayakers , 20 lifeguards on bank duties, Paramedics, St John's First Aiders , and full NHS ambulances, and overall command and control personnel.

See you next year?

Andy

sinkingpara
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by sinkingpara »

andy g wrote:To the best of my knowledge they only need safety kayakers this time, but applying early next time would certainly get you a job on the powerboats.

As you are probably aware the safety team at an event like this is massive, as many of the swimmers are doing open water swimming for the first time, and you wouldn't believe just how many get into trouble during each swim wave. The team needs to keep them all safe (sometimes from themselves!)

There are normally several powerboats (as I understand it you have to have RYA 1 & 2 Powerboating, and Safety Boat , plus you have to supply your own boat) as well as about 100 safety kayakers , 20 lifeguards on bank duties, Paramedics, St John's First Aiders , and full NHS ambulances, and overall command and control personnel.

See you next year?

Andy
Yup that's for sure :)

I am a RYA powerboat Instructor if that proves to be of any use to anyone :)

Ada
Expert

Post by Ada »

The Great London Swim
Venue change due to water quality.

Now at Docklands Sailing & Watersports Centre
235a Westferry Road
Millwall Dock
Isle of Dogs
London
E14 3QS

see website for more info

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Thanks Ada
Parking for safety kayakers is about 100 metres north of the centre , there will be a Gt Swim banner over the entrance.

This is closer than Victoria Docks so easier to plan for the 07.30 water safety team briefing.

Due to the lack of notice of this change I suspect that we are going to be improvising quite a bit, so be prepared for other changes throughout the day.

Andy