Re: Please check this out

Post by samk »

But that river almost cost you a boat!

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Done and done.
Brian -- you lost a boat on the Sanna?? How??? :-)
It flows into a really easy long road-side stretch of the Inn and rescues (even ones long after the event) are really simple.
I think there's a story here?? :D
Giles

philip lowers
Supporting Member

Post by philip lowers »

It was found in Italy several weeks later hehehee :lol:

Brian
Expert

Post by Brian »

I thought is was found in germany ?, ( but i guess that would mean it went up stream on its own ???? )
B

philip lowers
Supporting Member

Post by philip lowers »

I stand corrected! it does flow inot Germany.

I still thought it was the Italian Police who found it, my brain's not what it used to be :?

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

philip lowers wrote:I stand corrected! it does flow inot Germany.

I still thought it was the Italian Police who found it, my brain's not what it used to be :?
Where? In the garden of the paddler who fished it out?? :D
Giles

Brian
Expert

Post by Brian »

Ok
so here is the full story.
whilst paddling down the sanna through the pians rapid i managed to avoid the large stopper river left :D but totally forgot about the larger stopper :o river right, after a bit of down time i exited the boat and managed to clamber ashore river right just in time to see my boat disappear around a bend. once i got my breath back it was time to try and find sam and phil,as it turned out they had both seen me disappear into the stopper but had not seen me afterwards they only saw the upturned boat heading down river. This was the first and only time i have used my whistle in anger but after a couple of minutes i heard phil replying with his whistle. ( a good lesson learned; i never go on a river with out a whistle since ). The problem now was that sam and phil were river left i was river right, long story short i managed to scramble a mile or so down stream to a bridge whilst sam and phil went to get the car ( and no doubt grab a quick beer or 3 ).we drove up and down the river sanna and the river inn hoping to see my boat happly sitting in an eddy or stuck on a tree . no luck :( . we returned home a few days later and i put a post up on UKRG saying i had lost my boat on the sanna and thought no more of it . A couple of weeks later i get a call from an Andy Turton ( he owns a kayak instruction/trip business ) it turns out he was in a bar in germany and over heard a couple of locals talking about a kayak that was found in their local weir ( about 180 km from the sanna ) and they were searching for the paddler. ( i should point out that we had notified the local police in landeck ) again long story short Andy Turton returned my boat to England and i had to drive all the way to just the other side of blackwall tunnel to collect it at the cost of a couple of pints,
B
ps
did i mention the water levels were massive ;) ok that bits a lie :P

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Ha ha! Excellent :-)
I could tell you a funny story about Andy Turton (but sadly this forum isn't the right place for it).... :-)
Giles

Brian
Expert

Post by Brian »

sounds like a tale for the crook log, i will look forward to hearing it
B