Hi all
probably going to lee valley this saturday
2-3 legacy 3-4 olympic
B

Randy Fandango
Expert

Re: Lee Valley this saturday !st june

Post by Randy Fandango »

Couldn't join you on Saturday Brian but I had a great paddle today -- 3 and 1/2 hours on legacy and 1 and 1/2 hours on the Olympic.
Home, cut the grass and now relaxing..... :-)
I have to say as a general observation I tend to see remarkably few Meridian paddlers at LV these days.
Last year I would probably see club members paddling on a Sat or Sun most weekends but now it's something of a rarity.
What's happened? Have club members moved on and found somewhere more exciting to paddle locally (:D) or has ww paddling within the club reached such a low point that no one is interested in paddling regularly at LV these days??
Anyhoo -- im sure I'll start to see a few more club members there soonish as today the centre was putting up their new polo goals on the lake and I know they're keen to welcome polo paddlers to the centre to build a new polo team/polo teams....
Giles
Last edited by Randy Fandango on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul French
Expert

Post by Paul French »

I've been to LV a few weekends, its my default when there is nothing else on.....did I mention I was going to Italy? I now have a mobile home 15 mins from Tryweryn which works well for me vis a vis Tryweryn and North Wales. (That's where I was this weekend).

WW appears to be in a bit of decline tho, Brian and I, try but rarely manage to get co-ordinated partially due to work but also our wider paddling networks. Integrating different paddlers isn't always easy as peer groups are naturally slightly conservative. Responses to posts on the MCC website are generally negligable, so I tend to e-mail\text the usual candidates.

I'm happy to put an entry on facebook or on the website when I am booked onto LV.

OSB
Expert
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by OSB »

The decline in the breadth of disciplines within the club is worrying me too, but it's positive that the club booking at LV was so well received, and I'll be planning another.

Some lessons were learned from the booking on 25th May (i.e. categorising the "advanced" and "intermediate" paddlers more accurately, and making sure that the leader / group ratio is better). The next session may be for a shorter duration (my gut feel is that beginners were tired after 1.5 hours, but that an hour wouldn't be long enough to justify the travel), but we also know that £10p/h is a reasonable price which is acceptable not only to those who hold a ticket, but to beginners to. The next club booking needs to get beginners more comfortable with hitting eddies and rolling in moving water, therefore making the assessment more accessible to them.

The natural progression from the Legacy is (in my opinion) the Tryweryn, so I'd be looking to arrange a trip there for intermediate paddlers who are looking for more of a challenge. I want to be in a boat for that one though, so that's out of the question until the shoulder is tickety-boo.

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Likewise I have been to LVWWC quite a bit recently but usually on a Wednesday afternoon , which suits me.

I was also very impressed by the club's outing to the venue, and I really hope we can build on this.

Another trip there is certainly a must , but I tend to disagree about the Treweryn (especially the Upper section) being the next step. I would strongly advise that a club trip like the Barle or Usk & Wye provides a much more appropriate progression, and would hopefully boost numbers attending these outings.

Andy

Paul French
Expert

Post by Paul French »

I guess it depends on how you manage a Tryweryn trip. Perhaps the next step might be the Dee and lower Tryweryn. With options on selected parts of the upper e.g. the section above the Graveyard, from the Graveyard to the Ski Slope and so on.

These work because you can do them in the summer so the progression doesn't have the added cold water incentive.

The trips would need to be badged appropriately and the ratio of experienced to intromediate considered. From a club perspective and as an individual whilst I'm happy to lead competent GII/III paddlers albeit lacking experience in the above, I am mindful I am not qualified to coach or teach on this water.