Simonsbath Barle Trip March 1st and 2nd

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Simonsbath Barle Trip March 1st and 2nd

Post by andy g »

Folks
A date for your diaries , for the weekend of the 1st and 2nd March Di is organising her ever popular trip to Exmoor where we stay at Simonsbath.

We generally paddle the River Barle or the River Exe, but if the water levels are too low then surfing at Woolacombe is a popular alternative.

Please would you let Di know of your interest in this trip.

More details from Do at a later date.

Andy

andy g
Expert

Re: Simonsbath Barle Trip March 1st and 2nd

Post by andy g »

Hi All,

Just to confirm the Simonsbath trip is Fri 28 Feb to 2nd March (I am waiting for confirmation of the price but expect it to be around £50 for B & B and evening meal. Can you let me know if you are coming. Sleeping bag needed.

Although the Barle and Exe are the nearest rivers if there is insufficient water in them, then there is the option to surf at Woolacombe.

This is an excellent trip on relatively easy white water rivers so it is suitable for those with basic experience of moving water.

Please let Di know if interested.

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

There are still places available on this trip.

This trip is the most suitable for white water beginners that the club runs. The local rivers, the Barle and the Exe, are both very scenic , enjoyable runs, which can provide an excellent introduction to moving water, and if we go sea surfing at Woolacombe this can be enjoyed by all kayakers (or boarders).

Please post here if you would like to be included.

Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Well that was a great weekend,

With good water conditions on Exmoor we enjoyed 3 runs on different conditions on the River Barle.

On Friday the early group paddled Tarr's Steps down the Dulverton. We also did an inspection of the get on for the River Bray, but there was not enough water so we put that on the list for next time.

On Saturday the whole group ran from Withypool down to Dulverton , that was quite a long paddle (to put it mildly!) but delightful in glorious sunshine and nice water (just able to squeeze under the stones at Tarr Steps) . Towards the end of the paddle, Tony tried a support stroke off a rock , and ended up coming out of his boat with a dislocated shoulder. The whole team sprang into action to get him off the river and into A & E. Thanks to Jack for walking with Tony along the river path for 2 miles to Marshbridge; Di and Malcolm for getting the two boats down river, also thanks to Paul and Nikki for driving up to Marshbridge to collect Tony and Jack and back to Dulverton, and then the major contribution was from Jim for driving Tony to A&E in Taunton where they had to endure the interminable waiting around until the shoulder can be put back. Commiserations to Tony as the nurses cut open his dry suit to get to his shoulder , so he is now suffering acute financial shock as well as shoulder pain.

On Sunday we ran from Dulverton down to Exbridge for a nice wind down run, running the salmon steps over the weir on the right for a change.

Thanks to Di for organising this trip.

Paddlers were :
Tony, Jim, Fizz, Di, June, Malcolm, Jack, Fiona, Nikki, Dave, Pete, and Andy

A Great Weekend.

Andy

PeteC
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by PeteC »

Andy,

I'll second that with thanks to Di for arranging.

Thanks all for the coaching and great company for my first time back on moving water in umpteen years - it was a great weekend and a perfect re-introduction; where next?

Jim must surely be eligible for a Club commendation for A&E endurance ?! - All the best to Tony for a quick recovery.

Cheers,
Pete
PS Withypool to Dulverton = 10.3 miles on Google maps!

fiona.ng
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by fiona.ng »

Really enjoyed this trip. Thanks Di once again for organising this.

Thanks Dave, Jim and Tony for helping me to "fish out" my paddle which was stuck under the rock at one point on Sat..... otherwise i would have to hand paddle all the way down to Dulverton. Might not have been Tony who needs to go A&E but me instead!

Andy - you have forgotten Barry in your paddlers list.

Thanks all for the great weekend!

See you all soon

Fiona

Iron Lungs

Post by Iron Lungs »

Wow! Mentioned in dispatches.
When does the gong arrive?

What a great weekend though and thanks to Di for organising and Andy for driving me while listening to my non stop really excellent jokes.

Jim