How to start canoeing

Looking to join the club? Just joined the club? Ask your questions here
steve mccarthy

How to start canoeing

Post by steve mccarthy »

Hi
My 9 year old son is driving me mad to have a go at canoeing every time we go past Danson Park lake.
Is he too young to start ?
Could we both have a go together ?
Is this something that can be arranged through the club ?
If he enjoys the sport is it something he can do on a regular basis at his age ?

I would be grateful for any feed back on the above from any members or committee members

Regards

Steve McCarthy

andy g
Expert

Re: How to start canoeing

Post by andy g »

Steve,
We do take 9 year olds into our canoeing activities, although we do insist that a parent stays with them throughout to deal with any non-canoeing issues.
If you wish to come along as well then that would be great, and it solves the guardianship isssue as well.
Perhaps the best session to come and meet people would be a Saturday morning at the Lake at around 11.00 (although I am not sure about this next one because many will be away on a club trip overseas) Your son could meet some of our other younger paddlers and see what he thinks.

Alternatively come along to a pool session at Crook Log pool between 20.15 and 21.15 on a Wednesday night if you prefer to start inside.
However please be aware that we are an amateur club , if you want a commercial organisation then Danson Water Sports run canoeing courses for beginners throughout the summer months.

For pool session you would need trunks towell and that is about all, plus goggles if your/his eyes are senstive to chlorinated water: for outside the gear needs to be supplemented by some old trainers or wet suit bootees in case of contact with sharp objects on the lake bottom, and possibly a windprrof top if the weather is colder than today

Kind regards
Andy (Garlick)
Committee Member

jake_L
Supporting Member

Post by jake_L »

Hi Steve
My name is Jake I am the clubs Youth Officer in the club, I am looking to get all the youths in the club together and run youths sessions, I don’t have any dates yet but if your son would like to come to a youth session and meet some of the other youths in the club he would be more than welcome. Please keep looking on the site for more info and dates.

Many thanks
Jake Lewis
Youth Officer

DAVIDGS

Post by DAVIDGS »

Hi,
My Son and I are in a similar position to the other chap who has posted. I have been kayaking for a number of years without any formal training, however since my Son wants to start it is important he gets some training.
Can you let me know if the sessions at Crook Log and Danson Lake are still available? My Son is ten and I am fifteen! actual age forty three.

Many thanks,

David

Nigel A
Expert

Post by Nigel A »

Hi Steve and David

We normally operate on Danson lake 10.30 to 12.30 and Crook Log pool on Wednesdays 8.15 to 9.15 (Canoe polo sessions operate just outside these times but this is NOT for beginners!) and also on Thursdays 9.15 to 10.15pm
We accept juniors from 8 to 18. As pointed out we do not offer professional tuition so outside of given club courses, it is down to the paddlers to ask other club members for help. Having said this, members are usually very helpful and we do have some sessions going. Pool sessions are charged at £5 a session for non members (£4 for members) and we allow new members to attend 3 club session before we ask you to join, Fees are Adult: £35 (+£10 joining fee) Youth: £15 (+£10 joining fee).
I should be down Crook log pool next Wednesday if you would like to look in and have a chat, but beware we have been very busy lately!
We do require juniors to be accompanied by their parent or a responsible adult. We don’t require the adult to take part (But are quite welcome to join!) but they must be at the poolside or lakeside all times that the junior is present.
If I can be of any further help please contact me at membership@meridiancanoeclub.com

Nigel Abel
Membership officer Meridian CC

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Steve and David,
If you can't make Wednesday,I'm at Crook Log on Thursday.So maybe we'll see you there.
Tim Harlow

DAVIDGS

Post by DAVIDGS »

Hi All,
Sorry we have had a busy couple of months with schools etc but I would like to come down Wednesday night to have a chat. My son has his own kayak now and is itching for more experience, he is nearly eleven. Do I bring his boat or can he use one of yours? Can you confirm the times please.

thanks,

David and Alexander

Nigel A
Expert

Post by Nigel A »

Hi David
The Wednesday general pool session is from 8.15 to 9.15 pm we are down the pool from 7.30 for polo training. There should be someone to talk to about the club from just after 8.00. You can bring your own boats or borrow club boats for the session. We allow you to come to 3 pool (or other club sessions) as a guest member before you are asked to join. The pool session costs £5 for guest members and £4 for full members

Nigel Abel
Meridian C.C. membership officer

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

David & Alexander,
if you can't make Wednesday,you are more than welcome to come down on the Thursday.
We start later at 9.15 and end at 10.15,useful to know in the school holidays.
Tim Harlow

DAVIDGS

Post by DAVIDGS »

Hi Nigel, Tim,

We will try for Wednesday night, look forward to it.

Thanks,

David and Alexander