Pool Sessions

Looking to join the club? Just joined the club? Ask your questions here
miked
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Pool Sessions

Post by miked »

Hello,

I am keen on learning to Canoe, i did my 1 star award last summer but nothing since - unfortunately i work every Wednesday evening and so can't make that session at the pool - are there any other options for learninig the basics and building skills this time of year? i am guessing the lake is a little cold at the moment for the amount of swimming i would be likely to do!

Thanks

Mike

mark
Expert

Re: Pool Sessions

Post by mark »

Mike,
I hope you don't mind but I deleted your duplicate post to avoid confusion

Currently I would suggest you look to follow our standard development plan, as described below by joining us on a Saturday Morning.

Beginners Course
We are Likely to run possibly 4 of these ourselves but other local groups also run them and we could request that they advertise the club on their courses.
1 star Course and assessment
Whilst many may say at the end of the beginners course the new paddler would be able to pass the 1star at the end of the beginners course the purpose of splitting it away allows alternative coach input into a paddlers development and will also extend the learning phase.
Saturday Morning Development Group
IN the past Paul Winslow has run a development group which looks at giving the new paddlers a more rounded feel of the sport and he is willing to do this again.
2 star Course and assessment
Again it is likely Paul will have brought his group up to this level that they will sail through the exam but the opportunity for alternative coach input is invaluable.
Introductions to discipline specific paddling – White Water

regards
Mark

miked

Post by miked »

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your reply. i already have the 1 star award from last summer so is it a question of waiting for a development group session on a Saturday morning? will these be advertised somewhere? sorry for all the questions.

Mike

miked

Post by miked »

Mark,

Thanks for the reply, as i said i already have the 1 star award but i am more than aware that i need to practice these skills and learn new ones. Any idea when the next courses will be fo somebody like myself or other ideas to move forward with my kayaking?

Thanks

Mike

OSB
Expert

Post by OSB »

Mike,

Sorry that no one has picked up your post and replied to you...

There's a Medway trip scheduled for 16th March, which you might want to think about joining. Details can be found here: -

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1238

The best way to develop your paddling skills is to spend as much time in a boat as possible, and a few leisurely hours spent paddling down the Medway will certainly help with that. Pool sessions will help you to develop your core skills (bracing, rolling, etc.) in a warmer environment than outdoors, and I believe that there are coaches on hand at our Wednesday evening general sessions (8:15-9:15pm).

Sam

mark
Expert

Post by mark »

Paul Winslow is an experienced senior coach who has kindly offered to run a development group on Saturday mornings whenever he is at the lake. The sessions will be designed to progress paddlers who have already completed an introductory course, however if you haven't already been on one of these courses don't let that put you off. During the course Paul will be concentrating on efficient paddling strokes that will help prepare paddlers for future progression into each of the disciplines.

These sessions are open sessions, and Paul says you can either spend 5 minutes with him or the whole morning.

Over the next six weeks Paul plans to be at the lake on the 22nd Feb, 1st March, 8th March, 15th March, 29th March and 5th April

Sessions will start at 1030am

regards
Meridian CC Committee

miked

Post by miked »

The 16th sounds great, who do I need to contact to arrange?

I normally work every Wednesday but I have this Wednesday off - can I come along to the pool for some hints and tips?

Do I need to book onto the sessions at the lake with Paul? Fingers crossed I will try and make the session on the 22nd.

Thanks

OSB
Expert

Post by OSB »

I'll take this bit...
miked wrote:The 16th sounds great, who do I need to contact to arrange?

I normally work every Wednesday but I have this Wednesday off - can I come along to the pool for some hints and tips?
Andy Garlick is running the trip on the 16th, and you can register your interest in the thread I linked earlier. Assuming that you're a member, you can book the equipment you'll need (boat, paddle, helmet, BA, cag) for the trip here: -

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1242

Equipment booking is only available to club members, so you may need to get your chequebook out if you're not currently a member. The membership officer (Neil) may be at the pool tomorrow night, if you need to see him...

The pool sessions are priced differently for members and non-members, and non-members using the pool session is usually only for an initial introductory period.

Sam

miked

Post by miked »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Last few questions, how much will the session with Paul at the lake on Saturday cost?

What would be the best clothes to wear? I do have a wetsuit although this time of year I am hoping to not do to much swimming!

Thanks, looking forward to Saturday - weather looks great

Mike

mark
Expert

Post by mark »

There is currently no charge for the saturday morning session with paul.
Without knowing your actual paddling level it's difficult to answer the question what to wear.
I would suggest thin layers with maybe a fleece, don't go out and buy anything special just yet, you will need some form of footwear that can get wet and bring a change of clothes this time of year it's not good to sit around drinking tea in damp clothes.