New Uni Members

Looking to join the club? Just joined the club? Ask your questions here
sinkingpara
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

New Uni Members

Post by sinkingpara »

Hi Guys

First of all my sinkingpara name comes from me being totally incapable of rolling my boat and thus having to go for a swim every time I capsize, hopefully in the next few months I can change that!

This brings me to the main part of my message I am just touching base with you about a few of us from Greenwich Uni Paramedic course joining in September, so far there is three of us interested all with varying levels of experience (I used to do Canoe Polo but could never roll so that is one thing I really want to sort out!) one of the others canoed in 6th Form (about 2 years ago) and wants to get back into it and another is interested and likes the idea of Canoe Polo but has not canoed before). There is due to be a class of 50 so we may get more interest over time but will let you know later in September.

Now the course does not start until Monday 16th September so what would be the best options for us joining after that date?

Shane

mark
Expert

Re: New Uni Members

Post by mark »

I am now able to confirm details of our third Beginners Course of the year. This can be joined even if you have not attended one of our GoCanoeing Starter Sessions. If you have already reserved a place, this will be kept reserved, pending receipt of the registration form and course payment.

Meridian Canoe Club is pleased to be able to offer 3 days of Kayaking-related skills development on the 28th, 29th September and the 13th of October. Please note, this course is targeted at adults, but under 16's are more than welcome on the course providing they are accompanied by an adult who is either taking part in the course or staying on site while the course is taking place.

The first two days of the development course will be at Danson Park on the lake, home of Meridian Canoe Club, with the third day being a day trip on... the River Medway.

The course is aimed at developing the skills of any potential members prior to them joining the club, and It is hoped that by the end of the course the attendees will have reached the standard of at least the ‘1 star award’ and will be working towards the skills for the Next level. Should you already have your 1 star then we will work with you to refine the skills that you have previously learnt to become a more efficient paddler.

At the end of the first two days of the course, attendees will be in a position to consider joining Meridian Canoe Club to practice and develop the skills they have gained on the course. For further information, please email enquiries@meridiancanoeclub.com

The course is available at a special discounted rate of £25

If you want to bring a friend or family member along for the course, then they can join you for free (or you could split the cost between you). Any further additional friends or family can come along on the course for an additional £12.50 each.

If you are interested in this course, please return the attached registration form with a cheque for £25 made payable to Meridian Canoe Club to the address at the bottom of the form.

Should you wish to join Meridian Canoe Club directly from the course, Yearly Membership is currently as follows: Senior £35, Youth/Student £20 (over 8 but under 18 or in full time education). There is also a one-off £10 joining fee.

All paddlers should bring a change of clothes for after the days paddling; they may also wish to bring a second set of dry clothes to paddle in as there are likely to be three sessions a day depending on the weather.

This is the link to our event on Facebook, and it would be a great help if you were able to share this with your Facebook friends.

sinkingpara

Post by sinkingpara »

The link is being passed around, is there a limit on numbers?

fiona.ng

Post by fiona.ng »

Hi Shane,

I am happy to help you in hand roll in a canoe polo boat.

I am around every Wed for the early polo session.

You cannot miss me, i am the only Chinese lady on Wed early polo session

See you soon.

Fiona

sinkingpara

Post by sinkingpara »

fiona.ng wrote:Hi Shane,

I am happy to help you in hand roll in a canoe polo boat.

I am around every Wed for the early polo session.

You cannot miss me, i am the only Chinese lady on Wed early polo session

See you soon.

Fiona
Hi Fiona

Sounds great, only thing is I am back in Ireland this coming Wednesday for a few days but will be back the week after or should I wait until I have completed my 1* first?

fiona.ng

Post by fiona.ng »

Hi Shane,

As you said you played canoe polo before just have not master hand roll yet so do not believe you need to wait till you get your 1*.

However if u feel more comfortable doing it after the 1* course it's fine by me too.

The offer is always there when u need it.

Enjoy

Fiona

sinkingpara

Post by sinkingpara »

fiona.ng wrote:Hi Shane,

As you said you played canoe polo before just have not master hand roll yet so do not believe you need to wait till you get your 1*.

However if u feel more comfortable doing it after the 1* course it's fine by me too.

The offer is always there when u need it.

Enjoy

Fiona
I think I shall do both if you don't mind thank you as I want to get that piece of paper as well (not to mention build up my fitness at same time!)

What time / location on 28th?

Shane

fiona.ng

Post by fiona.ng »

I will be there from 7pm Wed for the polo sessions.

i will stay for the general session if you are doing the hand roll then.

You might want to come early to sort out a polo boat for your use unless you have your own.

Thanks

Fiona

sinkingpara

Post by sinkingpara »

fiona.ng wrote:I will be there from 7pm Wed for the polo sessions.

i will stay for the general session if you are doing the hand roll then.

You might want to come early to sort out a polo boat for your use unless you have your own.

Thanks

Fiona
Ill pop down early, should be able to get away after lectures see you then :)

sinkingpara

Post by sinkingpara »

Hi Guys

I apologise but I will not be able to make it tonight as I have been called into work (student life you cant turn down work!) Sorry guys I will defiantly be down next week!