Starting kayaking

Looking to join the club? Just joined the club? Ask your questions here
Noble

Starting kayaking

Post by Noble »

Hello,

I am interested in taking up flat water kayaking.canoeing, I have very little experience of kayaking (a few holiday river trips when I was 14, I am now 22 so its a long time ago!). Does the club take part in any 'regattas'? Does the club accept and train new members so that they can eventually join in with racing?

I have become interested, partly due to watching it in the Olympics :D but also because I was a rower at university but several knee operations later, I realistically wont be able to race or train at the intensity I would like so I am looking for a new sport which is still fun and on the water.

Since I am moving to London in September I thought contacting some clubs before hand would be the best way of getting some information about it.

Thank you

Jonathan

samk
Expert

Re: Starting kayaking

Post by samk »

Hi Jonathan,

As a club I don't think we take part in many regattas (happily corrected on this?) but that's not to say we don't have members that don't go and compete in racing.

If you would like to get into canoeing then the club have lake sessions on Saturday mornings that you are welcome to come along to. There is no specific teaching as such but there are often people around who would be more than happy to help. If you would like to do this then pop along to the lake around 10.30 on a Saturday morning.

We have a few K1 racing boats down at the lake that you would be more than welcome to try out once you get into canoeing (I wouldn't reccommend learning to paddle in one!).

Hope this helps,
Sam