Lessons?

Looking to join the club? Just joined the club? Ask your questions here
Rabell

Lessons?

Post by Rabell »

I am quite keen on starting to learn how to kayak and my wife is 50/50 on the idea at the moment. I was given your details by Danson Park and was hoping you could confirm if you offer lessons to beginners so that we can see if we like if before we take it any further. I see you have sessions at both Crook log and Danson Park but if you could confirm whether you do lessons, and if so the cost (inc any equipment hire, etc), that would be great.

Cheers
Richard

jake_L
Supporting Member

Re: Lessons?

Post by jake_L »

Hi Richard my name is Jake I am the clubs youth officer, yes we have pool sessions on Wednesday and Thursday and danson lake on Saturday, if you wish to start canoeing I suggest you come to a pool session first to start and once you have got the basics of paddling you move to the lake. If you come to the pool sessions and ask the lifeguard on duty he will sort you out with what you need, we have all the boats and paddles at the pool so you just need to bring towel and what you are going to wear in the pool. The cost of the session is £5 for the first three times then we ask you become members then it is £4 for a session. Hope this info helps if you have any more questions please ask.

Many thanks
Jake Lewis
Youth Officer

Pool times Wednesday 8:15 to 9:15 / Thursday 9:00 to 10:00

mark
Expert

Re: Lessons?

Post by mark »

Hi Richard,
I am Mark Preddy the current Chairman of the club and I would like to take this opportunity to explain some of your options in the local area and also to make clear what is actually being offered by each potential group that you might choose to join.

There are 3 main active canoeing groups that you may find suit your needs as a beginner. Danson Park Watersports centre http://www.bexley.gov.uk/service/parks/ ... index.html and Southmere Boating Centre www.southmereboating.co.uk and Meridian Canoe Club.

Danson and Meridian are both based at Danson Park Bexleyheath while Southmere is over at Thamesmead.

The two centres offer professionaly run courses where you will be assigned an instructor who will be responsible for you safety and also your instruction. The quality of the instruction at both of these centre is good and you will be able to progress swiftly.
Meridian Canoe club does not offer formal instruction to all new members and whilst I am sure you will find our members to be warm and welcoming they are at the sessions generally for their own paddling. that said many do take pleasure from helping others develop.

MERIDIAN CANOE CLUB IS RUNNING A COME AND TRY CANOEING MORNING THIS SATURDAY 9th AUGUST registration is at 1030 with everyone getting on the water at 11.

Hopefully between Jakes reply and this one we have answered many of your question
Mark