Devizes to Westminster 2010

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Devizes to Westminster 2010

Post by andy g »

This race is one of the most challenging events in the canoeing calender, and in the past various Meridian members have taken part.

In 2010 Meridian has 2 crews taking part over the Easter weekend , the better known is probably Liz Meany partnered by Adrian Holman, who are going to take the event in stages, probably in a K2 , but with a possibility of using 2 K1s.

The second crew is Antoinette Kriel and paddling partner Mark Bragg, who are racing non-stop in a K2. They are leaving Devizes at approx 10.00 am on Saturday and hoping to finish at Westminster on the Sunday at around 22 to 24 hours later.

The event is gruelling for the competitors but they are very dependent upon their support crews for food, clothing , encouragement etc . Both crews do have support , but if any other Meridian members would like to take an active part in the support network and act as "spotters" for the support crews they would be most welcome.
Please give me a ring if you are interested on (0) 7790 812 911.

Regards

Andy

MalcolmB

Re: Devizes to Westminster 2010

Post by MalcolmB »

Liz Meany & Adrian Holman are race Number 625 and Antoinette Kriel & Mark Bragg are race Number 324.
Liz & Adrian have reached Marlow at 14:34:39 hrs with a time of 07:35:01 hrs today. There total elasped time over the first 2 days is 16:01:19 hrs.
Antoinette & Mark left Devises at 13:06:00 hrs and reached Pewsey at 15:05:00 hrs.
Details and updates are on http://www.dwrace.org.uk

MalcolmB

Post by MalcolmB »

Antoinette & Mark reached Aldermaston at 21:10:00 hrs tonight (Saturday) and will be going on throughout the night.

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Malcolm

JJ and I left Mark and Antoinette at Aldermarston last night and the night support crews took over. They were in 3rd place for mixed cews at that time, and going really well.
Today they finished at 20h 39m 12 s which was 17th overall and 3rd mixed crew. A great achievement which reflects well on their training. The time was up on their 21 hour estimate.
The first mixed crew was 2nd overall and finished in 17h 30m so they had no chance of beating them, and we had to advise them not to push too hard.

Second place went to our ex-PDO James Hinves and his partner who were 45 minutes ahead at 19h 57 m.

We survived an seat from which the foam had become unstuck , and had to manage with a gaffer tape repair which cost about 9 minutes. The worst incident was being almost run over by a stupid narrow boat that was totally out of control and had a skipper , who , if her water skills were are good as her mouth was wide, would have been a lot safer.

A great learning experience. Sorry we did not see Adrian and Liz at all, as we would have liked to help them as much as we could.

Anyone fancy it for next year, I would quite enjoy taking a support crew role again.

Regards
Andy

MalcolmB

Post by MalcolmB »

Well done to Mark and Antoinette, this is a great achievment as a large number of the competitors retired throughout the night.
However Liz and Adrian are still going, They reached Teddington at 12:57:34 hrs and so far have paddled for a total time of 20:40:16 hrs. The next section will be the tidal part of the River Thames early Sunday Morning.

Jack_Lamer
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by Jack_Lamer »

Congratulations Liz and Adrian!!! 22:47 excellent!!!

MalcolmB

Post by MalcolmB »

Liz and Adrian came 10th in class.
Their total elasped time was 22:47:48 hrs.
Arrival time at Westminster was 10:01:29 hrs.
Did get into London and go along to the finish but I had to start work at 10:00 hrs so could not see you finish.
Well done to both of you and also thanks to their support - Chris from Wey Kayak Club.

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Congratulations Liz and Adrian,
I am sorry that out duties with Mark and Antoinette meant we did not get the chance to see you,but we wished you well anyway. The whole experience has given us an enormous respect for the event, and any competitor/s who even attempts it in 4 days let alone the overnight trip. RESPECT to you both.
Regards
Andy

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

Massive congratulations to both crews for finishing -- and in such awesome times.
I know from painful personal experience what the DW is like and take my hat off to all four of you. Well done indeed!!
Giles

Nigel A
Expert

Post by Nigel A »

Congratulations and well done, to both Mark and Antoinette and Liz and Adrian. Fantastic effort, especially in the face of some appalling weather at the start.

Nigel A.