Thames Trip : Sunday April 18th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Re: Thames Trip : Sunday April 18th

Post by andy g »

OK Folks
A bit more information about this trip on London's river.
Firstly I have prepared some background to this part of the river. I am sorry that it was written for a downstream trip and we are going upstream but I hope most will appreciate that you just need to start at the back and work forward.
This is definitely a trip to bring a (waterproof) camera along, you will see the city from a whole new angle and it is good to capture that, especially on your first trip.
Secondly it looks as if we are going to need an earlier start than usual in order to ensure that we reach the Westminster Boating Base by 13.00 and are completely clear of there by 14.00 having showered and packed oursleves up, as they wish to close all the doors whilst they are on the water during the afternoon session.
As the paddle itself normally takes a good 2 hours we must be on the water by 11.00 and that means being at Greenwich for drop off by 09.00 to allow for the shuttles.
Tim has kindly agreed to start at Westmister and shuttle the drivers back, but then he will need to prepare at Greenwich before we can set off.
Regards
Andy
Attachments
Thames Trip background.doc
(51 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Members might find the Thames Tideway Handbook of interest.
http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/35

Robert A
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by Robert A »

Hi Andy,
sorry i have not been about i have had a lot of work to do,
so not been out.
Yes would love to do the trip in the open with Tim.
Could you let me know some details on where to meet and what time.
Many Thanks.

Robert A
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Post by Robert A »

Hi Andy,
sorry i have not been about i have had a lot of work to do,
so not been out.
Yes would love to do the trip in the open with Tim.
Could you let me know some details on where to meet and what time.
Many Thanks.
You can give me a call on 07766743915.

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Robert I will try to contact you on Wednesday to =give you some details , gald to hear again from you
Andy

jake_L
Supporting Member

Post by jake_L »

HI Andy,
Me and my 2 friends from work will meet you at Greenwich on the water. We are going to park at our bace at the o2 and paddle to Greenwich go up to London with you get off and have something to eat and drink and then padde back down to the o2. the tide shouldn't be to strong to paddle back at 14:00.

Also the is a cruise liner is due in on the 18th called Ocean Countess. Its due to come in at lowish tide and moor up at London Cruise Terminal. Will try to find out more about it.
I will bring my VHF so if we need to contact London VTS on the day for any reason we can.
I hope me and my 2 friends can be of some brains to the group. Anyone wants to know anythink about the river or history of the river.

Jake

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Jake
You would be very welcome to join us at Greenwich , maybe some others will want to come back with you, but the "official" club trip will end at Westminster Boating Base.
Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

OK Folks
As the trip is next weekend a few last remarks.
As has been mentioned previously we must be on the water by 11.00 am in order to reach the destination and give ourselves enough time to be clear of there by 14.00 latest.
That does mean an early start, as we must run the shuttles and be back in Greenwich by 10.40 latest in order to allow people to park up, kit up and get on.
The shuttles should arrive at Westminster by 10.00 where Tim will await us and drive us back to Greenwich.
This means getting assembling initailly at 09.00 with boats and kit to ensure that we do have enough time . Would anyone borrowing a boat please do so earlier on the Saturday and let us know if you need transport for it to the get in.
The get in is from the steps nearest to the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich which is on Park Row, there is a car park near the main road. (NB the location of the Trafalgar Tavern is incorrect on Google Maps, the marked one is the car park!)
The get off is at Westminster Boating Base in Pimlico , opposite Dolphin Square on Grosvenor Road. There is free parking outside on a Sunday.

For the very enthusiastic and stronger paddlers there is an option to paddle back downstream with the tide , with Jake and his colleagues, but most will probably wish to call it a day at Pimlico.

Please let me know where you are going to meet us, whether you have a car to shuttle up to central London

Open Boat : Tim & Bob (this option may not be viable on the day if it is windy and if the group does not have enough strong paddlers who are confident to rescue a swamped open. The open must have at least inflated servicable bouyancy bags)
If not viable
Bob (own Burn)
Tim (borrowed Acro?)
+
Lauren (Burn)
Russell (IZ 232)
James (please borrow a river runner, not a playboat)
Fizz ( Redline?)
Jake + 2 (own boats?)
Steve(own Ammo)
Kerry (own Burn)
Me (own boat)
Have I omitted anyone?

Any more takers?

Andy

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

OK A couple of changes
Russell and James will not be with us
Tom (McGlone) and Jack (Lamar) will be coming .
We may also be joined by 2 more opens, Mark and Barry are both talking about coming , which will mean that we have rescue capability for the opens and my earlier concerns will be allayed.
Jack has kindly offered to pick anybody up at Danson and bring them and a boat along. Please let him know if you wish to avail yourself of this offer.
Andy
Let me know if you need any help (0) 7970 812911

Randy Fandango
Expert

Post by Randy Fandango »

jake_L wrote: .....padde back down to the o2. the tide shouldn't be to strong to paddle back at 14:00.
Err.... correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 2.00pm slap bang in the middle of the incoming tide???
http://www.pla.co.uk/pdfs/hydro/TOWER_P ... ctions.pdf
High tide is at 17.13.
Giles