Watch this Space for more Details of Local Trips

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

Watch this Space for more Details of Local Trips

Post by andy g »

Folks
Before committing organisational resources to them I would like to gauge support for a some trips suitable for all the paddlers who have completed the courses over the summer.
Trips in the winter months are more serious as you do need warm personal clothing to fend off the colder air and water temperatures, getting cold can lead to fatigue and other issues. Most of us have some spare clothing but not enough to equip 20 paddlers! I know the cold does not suit everyone, rest assured there will be others in next Spring/Summer.
The first would be a Medway trip , possibly from Tonbridge down to Hartlake , running the 2 "new" canoe chutes at Eldridges Lock ( a 2 stage ramp) and Porters Lock. We would hopefully have a chance to practice some moving water skills. There is a slight snag in that the former is not yet complete and we will have to monitor this carefully. I would like to try this in January , but no firm date yet.
The second would be a Thames trip , running from Greenwich to Westminster (or vice versa depending upon tides). Although the paddling is not technically difficult , the distance is longer, and you do need to be in control of your boat at all times to be able to confidently avoid other river users, both moving and static. Having said that it is a great trip with a chance to see London from a completely different perspective. I would like run that in February/March on a date when the tides are in our favour, again the water and air are likely to be cold.
After those you should be building up to assembling the skills neceassry to be able to come away on one of the club weekend trips (subject to the river leader's judgement.
Regards
Andy G

Samantha
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Watch this Space for more Details of Local Trips

Post by Samantha »

Hi Andy,
The trips sound really good and the Grovers will be interested in joining you if they go ahead!!
Samantha

russell_haddock
Supporting Member

Post by russell_haddock »

Yep, James and I are looking forward to the trips if they can go ahead, maybe we can even crowbar Mrs H out into the winter air, stranger things have happened :shock:

P.S Any chance of keeping them away from half term week as away on holiday and wouldn't want to miss out.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
count me in on both.
Bob said he would be interested in doing the Thames trip in an open.
Tim

Robert A

Post by Robert A »

Hi Andy,
Count me in,won't be able to make the 18th of Dec.

SimonC

Post by SimonC »

I'm always up for a days paddling,will join you on both,just set the date!

Simon

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Andy,
have you any more information for these two trips as my calendar is being to fill up!

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Tim
Expect an announcement concerning both trips in the next few days.
River Medway in February
River Thames in April
Dates to be confirmed
Andy

Brian
Expert

Post by Brian »

Hi andy
The guys at the westminster boating centre are very receptive to paddlers. so i would suggest your paddle up stream to get off at their centre (tide permitting). they have hot showers and male/female changing rooms.
just a thought
brian

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Brian
I was planning to do just that. Ever since you "discovered" them , we have had excellent co-operation from them whenever we have run a Thames trip.
Andy