Tour of Hoo Ness Island Sunday 27th May 2018.

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Tour of Hoo Ness Island Sunday 27th May 2018.

Post by Tharlow »

I am planning a tour of Hoo Ness Island in the Medway estuary to view Hoo Fort, abandoned wrecks, various wildlife and the recently restored Medway Queen paddle steamer .

This is a short trip of 5 miles but it does involve crossing the shipping lane twice and having the final hours of the incoming tide against us.
Therefore paddlers should be of a 2* standard.

Chart of the area is at:-
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... ridge-2016

Timetable.
Meet at Boathouse at 09.00 to collect boats and equipment.
Leave at 9.30.
Arrive at The Strand Car Park, Gillingham, (22 miles) ME 7 1TT at 10.15.
The car park is now pay and display so please bring £4 in change and unload boats by slipway before you pay to park.
Launch at 10.45.
Cross shipping lane to south of Hoo Ness Island and follow shore east and then head north to Port Werburgh.
Continue along northern shore to the remains of Cockham Wood Fort for packed lunch at 12.30.
High Water is at 12:18.
Leave 14.00.
Return to west of Hoo Island then cross shipping lane to Corporation Wharf, Chatham to view restored boats.
Return to The Strand slipway by 16.00.
Retire to café for those who want to.
I hope to be back at the boathouse by 17.30.
Low water is at 18.28, so we have to be off the water by 16:28 otherwise it's mud, mud and mud.
This will be an inter-club trip with our friends from Bewl and Maidstone Canoe Clubs.

Details of previous trip can be found at:-
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1610

If you are using club equipment, please book at:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1603&p=6146#p6146

Will be at the boathouse on Saturday to answer any questions you may have.

Sandiec
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: Tour of Hoo Ness Island Sunday 27th May 2018.

Post by Sandiec »

Can I book the Orange Orca for the Touring trip of Hoo Ness Island on Sun 27 May. Thank you. Sandie C.

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Tour of Hoo Ness Island Sunday 27th May 2018.

Post by Tharlow »

With an overnight thunderstorm and a forecast for more in the morning and late afternoon, it was with some trepidation this trip went ahead. Fortunately either the forecasters got it wrong or we were lucky with the weather; the day started overcast and humid with a Sun later in the day.

Julia, Sandie, Kathleen and myself were joined by Steve from Maidstone Canoe Club.

Crossed over the Medway from The Strand to Hoo Ness Island where the old concrete barges, used to stop shore erosion, attracted the attention of Steve.

Continued into the tide and wind, passed Hoo Fort and headed north to view the wrecks again used to prevent erosion.
With both the wind and tide now across us, paddling was bit of a challenge.

As ever the wrecks attract a lot of interest.

With both the wind and tide now behind us, we decided not to stop at Cookham Wood but continued on to Upnor Castle for a lunch stop.

After lunch crossed the Medway to view the old ship building sheds in Chatham Dockyard.

Then used the ebbing tide to take us back to The Strand.