River Cam Trip – Sunday 01 July 2018

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

River Cam Trip – Sunday 01 July 2018

Post by Tharlow »

Paul W is organising a trip on the River Cam in Cambridge on Sunday 01 July. This is a flat water trip that includes paddling through the famous ‘Backs’ of the historic Cambridge colleges … and dodging all the punts!

The plan is to paddle around six miles starting and finishing at the Fen Road Car Park in Chesterton (GR TL470670). This will take us up as far as Newnham where we can have a picnic lunch and a rest before the paddle back. We can also stop for ice creams at Jesus Lock
It takes between 1½ to 2 hours to drive to Cambridge, so I would like to be setting off from Bexleyheath by 9am. This should mean we’re able to be on the river well before 12:00. With a picnic lunch and ice cream stops, I’m expecting the paddle to take 4 or 5 hours at least. For those not wishing to go straight home afterwards, there are plenty of nice pubs and places to eat in Cambridge, although there are lots of tourists too.
If you’d like to read more about this section of river, see trip number 17 in Pete Knowles’ book ‘Pub Paddles’.
I will firm up the arrangements nearer the time, but it would be useful at this stage to know if you think you would like to come. Please let me know if you’d like more information.

Sandbag
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: River Cam Trip – Sunday 01 July 2018

Post by Sandbag »

Great idea, thanks.
Would like to come.
Not sure about Lauren yet.

Sandrine

Keith

Post by Keith »

Sounds like a great paddle
would love to come will speak with some of you when next at the club to find out more.
Regards
Keith

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

So far the definites are:-
Julia.
Sandrine
Sharon, Louis and daughter (sorry forgot name).
Phil
Dale
Sandie
Probably Kathleen and hopefully me (will know for certain nearer the time).

If you are using club equipment, please book it out here:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1618

Sandbag
Supporting Member

Post by Sandbag »

Lauren is coming as well

Sandrine

Sandiec

Post by Sandiec »

I would like to come. Sandie.

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

River Cam Trip – Sunday 1st July 2018

As previously advertised, I am organising a trip on the River Cam in Cambridge on Sunday 01 July. This is a flat water trip that includes paddling through the famous ‘Backs’ of the historic Cambridge colleges … and dodging all the punts!

Paddling
The plan is to paddle around six miles starting and finishing at the riverside car parking area in Fen Road, Chesterton (GR TL470670). This will take us up as far as Newnham where we can have a picnic lunch and a rest before the paddle back.

The stretch of river we will be paddling includes two portages in each direction. Jesus Lock (where we can buy ice creams), and a ramp with punt rollers at the Mill Pool. The main hazards are avoiding rowing boats near the boathouses downstream of Jesus Lock, and ‘aquatic dodgems’ with punts through the University backs!

With a picnic lunch and ice cream stops, I am expecting the time on the river to be somewhere between 4 and 5 hours. I would like to be on the water as soon after 11am as possible.

Getting there
It’s a 75 mile drive from Bexleyheath to Chesterton and takes around 1½ hours, so I would recommend being on the road no later than 9am. The post code to use is CB4 1PB. This will say Water Street (or it does on my satnav) but it’s at the point where Fen Road begins and you’ll see the parking spaces almost on the riverbank. If the spaces are full (which is likely) there is room to park elsewhere along Fen Rd.

Please make your own travel arrangements but let me know if this is going to be a problem. It should be possible for those of us going to share transport and minimise the number of vehicles.

Please note there are no public toilets at the beginning of the trip (apart from a nearby pub). There are toilets at Jesus Lock after about 1½ miles, and at Newnham where we stop for lunch.

If anyone not paddling wants to meet us at Newnham, there is a car park there at the end of a lane called Driftway. This is the Lammas Land car park. Closest postcode I can find is CB3 9PA. But please note it has a 2m height barrier.

What to bring
Boat, Paddles, Buoyancy Aid & Spray deck. If you need to use club equipment, please book this out in the usual way and arrange to collect it before the day of the trip. Please let me know if you need help or advice.

Personal Clothing: As for the lake if the weather is hot and sunny - shorts, T shirt and old trainers are fine. You may also want to bring some sun block. But, if the weather is cool and / or wet you will need a cagoule and maybe something warmer than a T shirt (e.g. a fleece top). Several thin layers are better than one thick one. A hat is also a good idea - a cap if it’s sunny, or a fleece or woolly hat if it’s cold. Don’t forget to bring a towel and dry clothes to change into at the end of the trip.

Food: Please bring a picnic lunch, snacks for the trip if you’d like them, and something to drink. You’ll need to carry this in your boat so you may want to find yourself a waterproof bag or container. Don’t forget money for ice creams!!

For those not wishing to go straight home afterwards, there are plenty of nice pubs and places to eat in Cambridge, although there are lots of tourists too. If you’d like to read more about this section of river, see trip number 17 in Pete Knowles’ book ‘Pub Paddles’.

So far, the following have expressed an interest in this trip

From Facebook:
Paul Winslow
Teresa Graves-Hammond
Andy Garlick
Tim Collier
Tony Holloway
Sharon Swift
Louie Swift
Anna Swift
Phil Pinnington
Jules Dawkins
Neale Dennett
Chris Sloan
Alicia Sloan
Dave Aylwin
Dave's wife (with Dave in an open canoe?)

From our website forum (in addition to some of those above):
Sandrine Bagnall
Lauren Bagnall
Keith ?
Dale ?
Sandie Clark
Kathleen Moody
Tim Harlow

By word of mouth:
Di Wade
Barry Wright
Cheryl Osborne

Please would you confirm if you’re still coming and let me have a mobile phone number so we can keep in touch if there are any problems on the day.

If you have any queries about the trip please get in touch.

Paul Winslow
Tel. 07710 876886
e-mail: paul.winslow@talk21.com

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

River Cam Trip – Sunday 1st July 2018

To those borrowing club boats and paddles from the boathouse. Please remember that all boats and paddles used at the lake must be sprayed with Virkon S disinfectant before they are removed from the park. This can only be done when Danson Park Water Sports Centre is open. This is best done on the Saturday before the trip. If you can’t take a disinfected boat home with you on the Saturday, and have to leave it at the boathouse to collect on Sunday, it should be ‘quarantined’ in the lecture room. You will not have time to disinfect a boat on the day of the trip and be on the road by 9am.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

So far 27 members have said they would like to take part on this trip.
Therefore Paul and I want to put together a detailed plan for the day.
Although Paul shall be at the lake this Saturday, I won't be.

Therefore we have decided to hold a brief meeting after the club's AGM at The Boathouse on Monday 25th June with all those going to finalise details about:-

Equipment; the use of club boats, disinfecting if required on the Saturday before. This will not be possible on the Sunday morning before we set off.

Transport: who has roof bars, straps and who is travelling in whose car.

Timetable for the day

Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi there
I said I would like to attend this trip but I will not be able to make it.
Sorry all maybe next time.
Regards
Keith t