Tour of Hoo Ness Island Sunday 15th April 2018

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Tharlow
Expert

Tour of Hoo Ness Island Sunday 15th April 2018

Post by Tharlow »

I am planning a tour of Hoo Ness Island in the Medway estuary to view Hoo Fort, abandoned wrecks, various wildlife and the recently restored Medway Queen paddle steamer .

This is a short trip of 5 miles but it does involve crossing the shipping lane twice and having the final hours of the incoming tide against us.
Therefore paddlers should be of a 2* standard.

Chart of the area is at:-
http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/ ... ridge-2016

Timetable.
Meet at Boathouse at 09.00 to collect boats and equipment.
Leave at 9.30.
Arrive at The Strand Car Park, Gillingham, ME 7 1TT at 10.15.
The car park is now pay and display so please bring £4 in change and unload boats by slipway before you pay to park.
Launch at 10.45.
Cross shipping lane to south of Hoo Ness Island and follow shore east and then head north to Port Werburgh.
Continue along northern shore to the remains of Cockham Wood Fort for packed lunch at 13.00.
High Water is at 13:28.
Leave 14.00.
Return to west of Hoo Island then cross shipping lane to Corporation Wharf, Chatham to view restored boats.
Return to The Strand slipway by 16.00.
Retire to café for those who want to.
I hope to be back at the boathouse by 17.30.
Low water is at 19.46.
This will be an inter-club trip with our friends from Bewl and Maidstone Canoe Clubs.

Details of previous trip can be found at
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1558

If you are using club equipment, please book at:-
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1609

I will be at the lake on Saturdays to answer any questions you may have.

Tharlow
Expert

Re: Tour of Hoo Ness Island Sunday 15th April 2018

Post by Tharlow »

An overcast morning at Gillingham welcomed Julia, Kathleen, Sandrine, Sandie, Dale and myself.

Launched and crossed the Medway to the south side of Hoo Ness Island, passed the Palmeston Fort to inspect the wrecks.

With a gentle southerly breeze behind us and plenty of time before high water, we paddled into the island.

Very sheltered from both wind and tide, quite tranquil.

After leaving the island we headed north to Hoo St Werburgh to look at more wrecks.

Stopped slightly earlier than planned at Cookham Wood for lunch but with such favourable conditions and enthusiasm from all, we continued up river to Upnor Castle.

With energy levels starting to fade, we crossed back over to the south side and used the ebbing tide to taken onto Corporation Wharf to view The Medway Queen.

And then back the The Strand, recovery followed by coffee and hot choc in the café.