2 Star Courses

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

2 Star Courses

Post by andy g »

Guys
I am running a couple of 2 Star courses this spring and summer for those of you who wish to progress your skill levels. As a minimum paddlers need to have already attended a Beginners Course , or already hold 1 Star, but this is really aimed at those with a bit more experience.
The first dates are Saturdays April 7/14 at the lake, and assessment on May 5th.
The second dates are Saturdays June 23/30 and assessment on July 7th.
I appreciate this is the upcoming holiday season so some mix-and-matching between courses may be possible as long as I know IN ADVANCE.
It is very strongly advised (think: essential) that you attend the pool sessions in between those dates to practice the underwater skills in a warmer environment, as the outside water temperature will still be cold!
The cost of the course will be £45 for members , £55 for non-members and will include all equipment necessary.
It is also advised that you check the syllabus from the British Canoeing website, and familiarise yourselves with the requirements.
This will involve some open boating on at least one of the lake sessions. These can be paddled tandem, but solo skills will also be included.
So far I have interest from Gemma, Arina, and possibly Tara. Any more takers please.
Andy

andy g
Expert

Re: 2 Star Courses

Post by andy g »

Guys

I will be running the second of my 2 Star courses starting this Saturday at the lake.

I have relatively few confirmed participants currently , so can cope with additional paddlers easily.

This Saturday I plan to cover kayaking skills , and maybe the start of some safety and rescues, so please come along prepared for a wet session. At least it should be warm weather!

Rescue skills are best practiced in the pool in advance so that when the time comes to capsize into the lake you are able to go through the procedure without too much time , saving your energy for the next part of the syllabus. I plan to be at the pool for the next few weeks and I am always happy to practice rescues with candidates (or others)

Next Saturday will be open boating skills , with possibly some more kayaking at the end.

Saturday 7th will be the assessment which is likely to be a fairly full day, when all your skills need to be demonstrated.

If people cannot make one or more of these sessions I am happy to try and arrange some alternatives dates for the training , or assessment providing that the numbers justify this .

Andy
Any queries please contact me (0) 7703 823619