River Medway Clean Up Sunday April 29th

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
andy g
Expert

River Medway Clean Up Sunday April 29th

Post by andy g »

Guys

The River Medway is our "local" river, and we take many trips there every year.

In conjunction with other SE canoe clubs we are organising a "clean up" day on Sunday 29th April. Each club will take a nominated stretch of the Medway and get to work clearing the river and some of the banks of the accumulated rubbish that is unfortunately so common these days.

We are combining this with other National Initiatives like Plastic in our Oceans (from Blue Planet) , Paddlers Against Pollution, and others. We already have the support of British Canoeing , we are working to get some media coverage (the BBC are showing interest) , we will put in pieces in the local press.

I would like as many Meridian members as possible to help on the day. Bank helpers are also very welcome as they can reach parts that the waterbourne volunteers cannot. Obviously we do need water based volunteers who are not total beginners (but they can do bank based tasks) but other than that we would welcome everyone to participate in this very worthwhile cause. We need to make this a big event.

Other clubs participating include Tonbridge , Bromley, Maidstone, WAM , and other clubs have promised to send a few paddlers along.

Both Kent Canoes and Medway Canoes are providing open boats for us to use as rubbish collection vessels, and the Environment Agency will be collecting all our spoils from a few nominated points on the river.

For those of you who do Facebook here is a link to the page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/3103000 ... &ref=notif

For those who please indicate your interest here.

Andy (Garlick)
(0)7703 823619

Sandbag
Supporting Member
The sum of the first two numbers: 5

Re: River Medway Clean Up Sunday April 29th

Post by Sandbag »

Count me in, please

Sandrine

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Count Kathleen, Phil and myself in too.

Last time I did this, I used a large string/twine bag (the type onions are stored in) which I attached to my boat to carry objects I collected.
If any one can get some, bring them.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

The BBC are keen to cover our Medway clean up , but have made a strong plea that they do it on Friday 27th as they have more resources then to cover it . They would like to speak with a few of us on camera about why we are undertaking this project. This is a great chance for some free publicity for the club. We appreciate many will be at work, but for those who are able could you please let Andy G know asap so he can inform the Lauren Worrall at the BBC soonest.Andy can give a lift to 4 paddlers and hopefully we can borrow a couple of open boats for the Friday.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

We meet at the boathouse at 9am on Sunday to load boats.
Leave by 9.30 and meet at the usual place, Hampstead Road, Yalding, ME18 6HG at 10am.
Bring a packed lunch.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Good turn out from members today in both kayaks and open canoes and on the river bank.

Andy's safety briefing with Meridian allocated the Medway from Yalding to Sluice Weir.

Where's Phil?

No cone was left unturned....

Meanwhile those on the banks did a great job.

Spot any bargains?

The final haul.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

British Canoeing have covered this event.
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news ... wXHFYQTu5F