thames trip

Surf, Rivers, Abroad etc. All goes in here
Paul Winslow

Re: thames trip

Post by Paul Winslow »

john west wrote:Paul

I'd like to go on the Thames trip this Sunday but I do not have much experience or any BCU awards

I'm a new member and have only been on the lake 4 times and in the pool once - plus I hope to be there tonight. Is this good enough to paddle on the Thames or would I be better suited having more sessions on the lake and go on the Thames the next time a trip is available.

Many thanks.
Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in this trip. From what you have said though, I would think it's probably a bit soon to be thinking of paddling on the tideway if you haven't already done some other trips first. I'm afraid I can't put a face to your name at present, although I may have met you at the lake at some time. I'll be there on Saturday morning. If you introduce yourself, I can have a chat with you about other trips that might be more appropriate for you at this stage in your paddling.

Paul

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Tharlow wrote:...and if we see a boat showing two cones pointing towards each other in a vertical line,what should we do?
I'd be asking myself what a fishing boat or trawler is doing working in the centre of London .... but if he's for real, I'll be keeping well out of the way of all his gear!!

... and here's another for you: If on the tidal Thames we see two similar sized boats approaching one another from opposite sides of a bridge, which one should we expect will be giving way?

Paul

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Tharlow wrote:The car park in Park Row is no longer free on Sundays.
It will cost £7 to park for more than 4 hours.
Details at http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/T ... kRow05.htm

The days of getting something free from your council have gone...
Thanks for that Tim, although I was sure the signs in the car park still said it was free on Sundays when I looked last week! Anyway, it should only affect the car(s) bringing drivers back after the shuttle, and we can share that cost if there is one.

Paul

andy g
Expert

Post by andy g »

Paul
Like Tim , I had misgivings about the car park being free, and went to check last night , and can confirm what Tim said.
As I said before I live less than a 1/4 mile away and I can provide a couple of residents' day permits for about 50 pence if that helps.
Not sure about parking the other end either. Do you know what the sitauation is?
Regards
Andy

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Westminster Boating Base is in Grosvenor Road,SW1 (over Vauxhall Bridge and turn left).
It's on a red route (I'll check to see if it's in force on a Sunday) but there is a bay for unloading etc.
Parking opposite in St George's Square is free on Saturday and Sunday.Just ensure you do not park in a resident's bay.

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Paul Winslow wrote:
Tharlow wrote:...and if we see a boat showing two cones pointing towards each other in a vertical line,what should we do?
I'd be asking myself what a fishing boat or trawler is doing working in the centre of London .... but if he's for real, I'll be keeping well out of the way of all his gear!!

... and here's another for you: If on the tidal Thames we see two similar sized boats approaching one another from opposite sides of a bridge, which one should we expect will be giving way?

Paul
Both vessels should turn to starboard (right) and pass.However,if there is room for only one to pass I would expect the vessel going against tide to give way the the vessel going with the tide as it is easier to slow down going against the tide.
Exaggerate your movements to ensure the other vessel know what you are doing (as I do on Danson Lake).

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

THarlow wrote:
Paul Winslow wrote: If on the tidal Thames we see two similar sized boats approaching one another from opposite sides of a bridge, which one should we expect will be giving way?
Both vessels should turn to starboard (right) and pass.However,if there is room for only one to pass I would expect the vessel going against tide to give way the the vessel going with the tide as it is easier to slow down going against the tide.
Exaggerate your movements to ensure the other vessel know what you are doing (as I do on Danson Lake).
Vessels approaching a bridge may well have no option to turn to starboard, especially the one approaching with the tide. The critical point here is that on the tidal Thames any vessel approaching or passing under any bridge (or round a bend) when going against the tide should give way to vessels approaching with the tide. Understanding this helps us to predict the movements of boats we are trying to avoid. We can therefore expect that boats overtaking us (i.e. with the tide) will be expecting a right of way. Boats we can see coming in the opposite direction (against the tide) may be taking avoiding action and changing course. We need to keep out of their way!

Paul

Paul Winslow

Post by Paul Winslow »

Dear All,

Just a reminder for Sunday.

We will be paddling approximately 9 miles from Greenwich (SE10 9NW) to Westminster Boating Base (SW1V 3JY).

This is a kayaking trip with appropriate safety cover provided by kayakers i.e. there won’t be any powered safety boats accompanying us. If you are experienced in using a tow line please bring one along!

We will be meeting in the public car park in Park Row, Grewenwich at 9:30am. I thought it was free on a Sunday but Tim and Andy say there’s a charge now. The shuttle will take 45 minutes to an hour depending on the traffic. We can leave vehicles outside Westminster Boating Base on Grosvenor Road.

The plan will be to take all the vehicles to the finish and bring back the drivers in as few cars as possible. Ideally the car(s) bringing drivers back to the start should be one(s) with no or only one or two boats to carry. We can then bring these paddlers (with their boats!) back to their car(s) after the trip without the need for them to have to drive back into town to pick up kit.

I want to be paddling by 11am as this will enable us to catch the best part of the tide. It will be a spring tide with HW at London Bridge at 3:45pm. We should be getting off the river between 2 and 2:30pm, but this will depend how much ‘playing’ and ‘sightseeing’ we do along the way.

You will need to come prepared for what might be a cold and windy day. So in addition to your usual winter kit you should have a warm hat and maybe some pogies. It would be a good idea to bring snacks and drinks to have in your boat, and something to eat after the trip. I am not planning a lunch stop on the river.

Nine miles on a cold day can be very uncomfortable if you’re not properly kitted out! Let me know if you have any questions about this.
Jake Lewis has asked on the website if any one can offer him a lift. If you can help please give him a call on 07805 650292

As far as I am aware, the list of paddlers likely to be on the trip is as shown below. Please let me know if you are on this list and not coming, or if you know of anyone who plans to come but isn’t on this list.

I think that about covers it, but please let me know if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday

Paul
07710 876886

Paddlers:

Paul Winslow
Teresa Graves-Hammond
Lewis Hammond
Nathan Hammond
Susanne Dale
Shauna Dale
Alex Dale
Tony Holloway
Andy Garlick
Jake Lewis
Tim Harlow
Mark Preddy
Brian Borrett
Will Borrett
Sam Kavanagh
Liam Kavanagh
Aimee Robson
Jack Robson
Robbie Wetherly
Alison Wetherly
Jamie Groves
Marcus Davenport
Lewis Davenport
Ryan Wilkinson
Hannah Kendall

john west

Post by john west »

Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I'll be on the lake tomorrow morning to talk about a better suited trip.

many thanks
Paul Winslow wrote:
john west wrote:Paul

I'd like to go on the Thames trip this Sunday but I do not have much experience or any BCU awards

I'm a new member and have only been on the lake 4 times and in the pool once - plus I hope to be there tonight. Is this good enough to paddle on the Thames or would I be better suited having more sessions on the lake and go on the Thames the next time a trip is available.

Many thanks.
Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in this trip. From what you have said though, I would think it's probably a bit soon to be thinking of paddling on the tideway if you haven't already done some other trips first. I'm afraid I can't put a face to your name at present, although I may have met you at the lake at some time. I'll be there on Saturday morning. If you introduce yourself, I can have a chat with you about other trips that might be more appropriate for you at this stage in your paddling.

Paul

Tharlow
Expert

Post by Tharlow »

Tharlow wrote:Westminster Boating Base is in Grosvenor Road,SW1 (over Vauxhall Bridge and turn left).
It's on a red route (I'll check to see if it's in force on a Sunday) but there is a bay for unloading etc.
Parking opposite in St George's Square is free on Saturday and Sunday.Just ensure you do not park in a resident's bay.
Just to add:-
The Grosvenor Road Red Route is in operation from 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday apart from a few bits of double red lines.
Parking in St George's Square is free and easy,just check you don't park in a resident's parking bay than is in operation over the weekend (some are,some are not).