Meridian Canoe Club Constitution (Containing amendments made at June 2011 AGM)
1. The Club shall be known as the Meridian Canoe Club.
1. The Object of the Club is to promote the sport of canoeing in those forms that the membership shall from time to time decide.
1. The membership shall be open to anyone who wishes to participate in or is an active supporter of the sport of canoeing subject to the below.
2. There shall be 5 categories of membership;
Senior members 18yrs and over
Junior members Aged between 8 years and over but under 18 years old and also includes students in full time education.
Associate members For persons whose permanent residence is over 50 miles from Bexleyheath (DA6 8HL) but wish to use Club facilities or attend Club trips from time to time OR are resident in London for a period of 1-4 months. Associate Membership may also be granted (or rescinded) by the consideration of the management committee where circumstances permit. Associate membership will hold no voting rights.
Community members will be entitled to attend up to 10 sessions
a year of after school coach led activity. Community members
will hold no voting rights.
These ages to be at the time of joining.
3. Prospective members shall make written application to the Membership Secretary of the Club on the form provided. Election to membership shall be by decision of the Management Committee who may refuse election without assigning a reason for so doing.
1. Rates of subscription shall be fixed by the Annual General Meeting.
2. Rates of subscription shall be reviewed bi-annually (starting 2009). The subscription for Senior, Junior and Associate members will be considered at this review, with an option to apply a maximum increase of £2 per year to the appropriate fee.
3. Annual subscriptions shall run for 12 months from the first day of the month of election to membership and shall be due for renewal on the anniversary of that date.
4. Life subscriptions shall be ten times the annual senior subscription.
5. A fixed rate joining fee is payable on application for membership.
V Cessation of membership
1. Any member who violates the Club rules or constitution or who is adjudged guilty of gross misconduct may, by resolution of the Management Committee be suspended or expelled. Any member so suspended or expelled may appeal to a special general meeting where such an appeal is sponsored by no less than five members. Any member suspended or expelled may also appeal to the British Canoe Union to state their case.
VI Management Committee
1. The Management Committee shall be responsible for the general conduct and business of the Club and shall consist of Chairman, General Secretary, Membership Secretary, Treasurer, Equipment Officer all of whom shall be elected by the Annual General Meeting.
2. In the event of a member of the Management Committee no longer being able to perform in their function during a term of office, the Management Committee shall have the power to co-opt a replacement, and the membership of the club shall be informed of the change. In the event that 25% of the membership object to the change within 1 month of notice then an EGM will be called to elect a new Management Committee.
3. The Committee shall meet at least four times in the year.
4. A quorum shall be THREE members of the Committee present and voting.
5. The London International organisers should be at least two club officials, appointed at an AGM. In the event of one or more not being able to attend the London International event, the Management Committee may substitute additional organisers who are able to attend the tournament.
VII General Meetings
1. The Annual General Meeting shall be within 3 months of the end of the Club’s financial year.
2. The Club’s accounts for the year ended on previous 31st March shall be presented to the Annual General Meeting for approval.
3. A Special General Meeting shall be called on the instructions of a Majority of the Management Committee or on a requisition signed by not less than 5 members of the Club.
4. Not less than fourteen days clear notice shall be given, specifying time and business of any General Meeting.
5. At all general meetings not less than 21 members of the Club shall constitute a quorum. Proxy votes will not be counted in the quorum.
6. If after half an hour from the time appointed for a General Meeting, a quorum is not present, the Meeting, if called by requisition of the members, shall be cancelled. In any other case the meeting shall be adjourned to a time and place determined by the Management Committee. Any such adjourned meeting shall be adjudged quorate irrespective of the number of members present half an hour after the advertised time of the commencement.
7. The accidental omission to give notice of a meeting to, or the non-receipt of such notice by any member shall not invalidate the proceedings of that meeting.
8. Any member may submit a proxy vote by either: –
a) giving voting rights to another member in writing
b) giving written voting instructions to another member
All proxy votes must be registered with the Secretary at the beginning of the meeting. Only one proxy vote can be held by any member.
1. The Management Committee shall manage the affairs of the Club. Financial or legal liability incurred in the rightful exercise of their office shall not however be the personal liability of the Committee but shall be the responsibility of the Club as a whole.
2. All members or other persons who attended Club tours or Meets do so at their own risk and neither the Club nor the officers can accept any liability for loss or injury of any kind sustained while attending a Club tour or Meet.
1. Al1 financial dealings of the Club shall be the responsibility of the Treasurer who shall be accountable to the Management Committee, which may authorise specific expenditure including loans and investments.
2. A banking account shall be opened in the name of the Club. The Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer shall be authorised signatories. Cheques shall be signed by any two of these.
3. A separate bank account shall be opened in the name of the Club. This will be used for all London International payments/receipts. The Chair, Secretary and London International Organiser shall be authorised signatories. Cheques shall be signed by any two of these.
4. An auditor to be appointed annually at the AGM to check the Club accounts at the end of each financial year, and at any other time he deems necessary during their appointment, having first given at least 14 days notice.
X Amendments to the Constitution
1. The constitution of the Club shall not be altered, amended or rescinded except by a General Meeting of the Club.
2. A resolution to give effect to any change must be passed by not less than two thirds of the members present and voting at a general meeting except that in any event no change to this constitution may be carried by fewer than ten votes in favour.
1. The Club shall not be wound up except by a resolution of a Special General Meeting convened for that purpose. A quorum for such a Special General Meeting shall be 51% of the paid up membership. If the Club ceases to exist any surplus assets shall be handed over to a body or bodies with similar aims and objectives or to a charity or charities.
XII Power of Decision
1. Any matter not provided for in constitution, or any question of interpretation of it shall be dealt with by the Management Committee, whose decision shall be final.